FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Audiomods Series 5 arm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 8:57pm
After more extensive listening, I have two further observations to make

Ever since I purchased the RP6 in 2012, I had a feeling that imaging seemed to drift, often noticing the vocalist off centre but not necessarily staying in the same place. I sometimes played around with the Rega bias adjuster but without solving the issue

After a few evenings with the Series V arm, I can say with confidence that vinyl imaging is now rock-steady and stays exactly in the same place throughout an LP. The acid test that helped me finally realise what was going on was using the non-music side 4 of a Joe Jackson LP - wherever I drop the stylus, it stays almost exactly in that spot. I think I now understand the logic behind this

Because the Audiomods arm uses a small eliptical guide, thread and weight, this constantly adjusts bias across the side of a record, starting with the weight hanging down near the platter and gradually rising as the arm moves inwards. Bias is therefore constantly varying and compensating for the changing force as the stylus tracks across the vinyl. The simple Rega magnet is only ever going to be 'correct' across a small part of the disc and I set that up using the blank section of the HFN test record between tracks 5 & 6. Everywhere else was bound to be incorrect I suppose. It maybe explains what I heard

Others quicker on the uptake than me may already know this of course but it is another very pleasing effect of changing to this arm

Secondly, the separately earthed arm no longer carries a static 'crack' through to the Reflex when I lift an LP off the platter, even with highly charged new vinyl. The arm no longer shares the signal earth. The static is still there but without the worrying and potentially damaging surge through to the speakers
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
16s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 3:06pm

I have only biased Rega arms and the magnetic mech always makes it a bit hit or miss. As a guide you are supposed to set Bias approxmately the same as the VTF but on my Technoarm i have hardly any antiskate engaged. If I set it to 1.7 as per the VTF the arm would pull aggressively to the to outer edge of the record.

an alternative to the deadwax method for bias setting is to play a mono record and centre the image using headphones and obviously a GSP amp. Any one tried this?
Rich

Michell Gyrodec SE, Michell Tecnoarm, Ortofon 2M Black, Systemdek IIx 900, RB300, 2M Blue, Rega Fono mkII
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 12:23pm
Drewan77 hi, I have been mulling over the Audiomods series V and nearly placed an order 12 months ago, though for various reasons never happened.  I found Jeff extremely helpful during my discusion stages and have in the short term looked to upgrade to Reflex or Revelation first, maybe not logical but that is in the game plan. 

Am I correct in thinking you have moved from standard Rega?

I have the Original Mission 774 with Dynavector XX2-2 and had considered upgrading the 774 Armtube next but concluded the Audiomods would be the way to go albeit with strong support for the Mission from Vinyl Engine 774 user.

Is delivery still around the 2-4 weeks mark?

Kind regards
Richard
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 4:44pm
Yes, I moved from the RB303 arm which now resides on a Planar 3, together with the Ortofon cart. The Audiomods is significantly better in every respect. You could check with Jeff about lead time - it was about 4 weeks for mine
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Paperweight View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paperweight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 3:31am
I purchased a Rega RP1 back in April of 2014 for a now ex girlfriend. I remember having to take the arm lift apart since it wouldn't seem to drop fast enough. Sure enough, the grease was of an extremely thick consistency.

A little late to this party but I just purchased an Audiomods Series 5 arm as well. I'm still waiting for it to be shipped. It wasn't my first choice but the polished finish is what he had to offer at the time. Matte finish doesn't show fingerprints.

Here's the turntable I plan to mount it on. This is a picture he sent me of the white version which I chose. The black version he has posted on his website is nice as well.  

Don't know if anyone in the UK is familiar with Groove Tracer out of California. I think he's been making upgrade parts for Rega turntables for something like 10 years. Platters, subplatters, and counterweights. He hasn't quite put turntables into full production. The plinth is made of Delrin and he's designed a new inverted bearing that looks just like his normal subplatter. Not sure if it can be fitted onto a Rega turntable.

Anyways, I'm waiting for him to complete the turntable parts and ship the arm along with everything. This should be interesting.

Edited by Paperweight - 10 Jan 2017 at 4:14am
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 8:37am
I've found my polished Audiomods arm has stayed fingerprint-free, although the only parts
which are regularly handled are the fingerlift & arm lift/lower lever.
A careful rub with a small cloth & a fine brush keeps it looking its best.

Groove tracer do seem to have some UK presence with upgrades for Rega owners.

Enjoy your arm when it arrives, they are very good.
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Paperweight View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paperweight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 2:05am
Finally getting around to listening to my setup. The turntable is huge. My old slab of oak I used to level the P5 is too small. I got everything setup for the AT150MLX cartridge and it sounds pretty decent running into the Reflex M into a Solo ULDE. I ordered the 7+ pound platter for this beast today. I may need to add a shim to the headshell. It seems just a hair bass shy. The silver tonearm cable will probably take a while to break in as well.

I'm also waiting on a AT33PTG/II moving coil cartridge. I bought a Hagerman Piccolo MC headamp kit in the last 10 years. I forgot I had the thing and finally got the parts together to assemble it. I just bought one of his Frybaby portable burn in signal generators. It works for MC and MM phono pres, cables etc.

Everything is a work in progress. It seems like I get maybe 2-4 hours a week to listen to records.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic