FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Audiomods Series 5 arm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Audiomods Series 5 arm
    Posted: 07 Jun 2014 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by 16s 16s wrote:

Please let us know how the series 5 sounds and please post pics
The Audiomods arm  is now in my posession and I will be home Sunday afternoon (having been away for several weeks), ready to fit and set it up. It is beautifully packaged and presented - there are multiple small bags containing various components and attention to detail even includes a dummy aluminium stub to enable the counterweight to be disassembled remotely and additional shims fitted

The gold plated steel/copper/lead counterweight is a work of art and the ceramic arm bearings offer so little resistance, it's as if there is nothing there . I hope it sounds as good as it all looks Approve

Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2014 at 8:17pm
I must get in touch with Jeff again. I'm sure he could build arms with a detachable headshell...
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2014 at 8:22pm
This is one of the reasons I would like another deck.
Please keep us posted of what you think of it.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
16s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 6:54pm
looks awesome Andrew. thanks for the pics.  Is it unipivot? or is the "micrometer" just for VTA adjust?
Rich

Michell Gyrodec SE, Michell Tecnoarm, Ortofon 2M Black, Systemdek IIx 900, RB300, 2M Blue, Rega Fono mkII
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 7:31pm
From what I remember Jeff saying, it's for VTA.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 8:34pm
Yes, it's for VTA.
It's known as a series 5 Micrometer arm.

There is a DIY kit available as well, if you are after a bargain.

Edited by CageyH - 08 Jun 2014 at 8:35pm
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 9:01pm
I have rarely changed a component in my system with such a dramatic effect as this. From first listen a few hours ago, it sounds nothing like the original 303 arm & seems a really good match to the 2M Black, taming the slightly strident treble I had become used to and changing the tonal balance to that of a completely different cartridge (in a good way). This is already the nicest sound I have heard from vinyl and the cable loom has yet to burn-in

Female vocals, often a bugbear of mine have lost the harshness which accompanies certain performers and I have just played 3 of the 'worst examples' back to back (Albums: String Driven Thing - The Machine That Cried, Sunforest - Sunforest, Buffy Saint Marie - She Used To Wanna Be A Ballerina). All have brought a smile to my face Big smile...at last

Bass notes sound more fleshed out, not necessarily deeper but clearer and fuller, more realistic certainly. As I am typing, I have a Paul Butterfield Blues Album playing and it no longer sounds thin and rather uninvolving. That is nice

I am not really sure how to describe it but it's also as if instruments have more space around them and are easier to pick out individually in a mix. I just played the Desperado LP (Eagles) and subtle backing guitars, banjos and tambourines are quite distinctively placed and more noticeable than I had sensed previously. It's possible I am listening more intently of course...

The bias counterweight took a little adjustment (including HFN test record) to get right but because it constantly corrects across the LP, I can detect no distortion, even the inner groove on Sunforest which is the worst example in my collection. In every other respect, setup was a breeze into a Rega plinth and I have used the same Baerwald alignment/tracking weight as previously. The arm no longer relies on a 'Rega' return earth in the left channel and has its own separate grounding cable/crocodile clip to the Reflex M. As previously, there is no hum even at high volume

One note of caution, though - the arm rest mechanism does not have the slow, damped drop I was used to and I must learn to gently lower the lever. However, unlike all the standard RP6/303s I have tried, the stylus drops exactly where you want it rather than drifting backwards

I am using the micrometer version which permits VTA adjustment 'on the fly' and will try this out later. Whether it makes any difference is to be seen although I do have plenty of thin 70s LPs and quite a lot of new 180/200gm stuff so it should be useful

Jeff Spall is to be highly commended with this - the drilled and damped 303 arm, ceramic bearings, removal of sprung counterweight and magnetic bias have all transformed my turntable/arm well beyond my expectations. I am glad I paid a little extra for the 'bling' gold plating - playing vinyl is such a pleasurable experience in every sense and I intend to look at and listen to this for many years to come

Now, if only I can resist that AT150ANV..... Wink

Edited by Drewan77 - 08 Jun 2014 at 9:10pm
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic