FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Proprius in my system? Tell me how?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
Author
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proprius in my system? Tell me how?
    Posted: 07 Jun 2014 at 9:00am
I don't have a pre-amp in my system, and I am thinking of upgrading my ageing Arcam Alpha 8 and 8P amplification without having to spend too much. (This means no majestic DAC at the same time).

I want to retain a remote control volume function, so I was thinking that I could use my Arcam Alpha 8R as the pre-amp for now, and use an RCA to XLR cable to power the Proprius amps next to the speaker. I would then replace the 8R with a decent pre-amp at a later date.

Does that make sense, and would it work? Or could I use my Solo UL as a Pre-amp?

Phase anybody tried Bi-Amping speakers with Proprius yet?

Bearing in mind I have Cyrus CLS70 speakers, is this the most appropriate upgrade route?
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2014 at 8:34pm
Arcam Alpha 8R preamp out should be just the job for a while. I'm hoping to properly start work on my preamp this month.

I sort of bi-amped using four Proprius on the Road Show: I ran the AB2 bass subs from one pair and the LS3/5a's from the other.

I can have a go at bi-amping the LS3/5a itself at the Cranage show when I do the setting up. I don't have room in the workshop right now.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2014 at 8:48pm
I may have to borrow the Proprius from Suggs (assuming he has some) but I am concerned that I won't want to give them back!
Kevin
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 6:57am
Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

I may have to borrow the Proprius from Suggs (assuming he has some) but I am concerned that I won't want to give them back!

I very well understand this condition but it is only temporary and there is nothing to be concerned about... except for the 'M' word (and no, I don't mean the Majestic DAC). No 'M' is that difficult subject, in fact so difficult that even Alan Greenspan went in the wrong direction. I too have screwed-up by buying the wrong thing on ocsasion just to save 'M'.Wink
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 7:09am
Are there any published reviews of the Proptprius?
I'm just interested to read what they say.

Yes, it's only money, but you can only spend it once.
Kevin
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 7:46am
Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

Yes, it's only money, but you can only spend it once.

That seems lucky... I usually have to spend it many times Wink

There is only one magazine that has been interested in the Proprius and that is the German Hi-Fi Stars magazine. I may spend a lot of money on full and half page ads in UK magazines but they'd rather review other peoples products - but it shows they're not influenced by advertisers...

Quoted from the press review tab on the Proprius product page...

"So small may be their physical appearance, so great are their musical charisma and playfulness. Amplifiers must in future be measured in my system with the Graham Slee Proprius..."

[Hi-Fi Stars, März 2014 - Mai 2014 - Amplifiers Graham Slee Proprius Mono (translated from German)]

The reviewer bought the review pair after the review - well, actually he was thinking about it, but his wife insisted he bought them.

After that, the amps were unavailable to another reviewer on the same magazine, so he contacted us to purchase his own pair.

That's a bit different to the UK mags where you send a product and never see it again...Wink

CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 8:16am
If you send me a pair, you probably won't see them again either.
I think I'll save up some cash, and go for a home loan. Do the loan coordinators carry RCA to XLR adapters?
Kevin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
  Share Topic