New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Proprius and high efficiency single driver speaker
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Proprius and high efficiency single driver speaker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526>
Author
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 7:23pm
I asked Graham about this topic soon after joining the forum and he gave an extensive answer on page 2
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 8:11pm

They look great and thank you again for sharing the development with us.

For microphonics I use the Pen Test. Turn the volume on full with no music playing and tap the casing and connectors with a pen. GSP gear passes the test as we all knew it would.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Stewboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stewboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 9:33pm
Is than an Arcam Alpha 9 cd player I can see there?

I've got one of those in the loft!
Equipment choices:

Playstation 3 SACD, Bitzie DAC, Meridian Explorer DAC, Lautus USB cable, HD250-II, HD650
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

I asked Graham about this topic soon after joining the forum and he gave an extensive answer on page 2

I'd forgot that one. Thanks for the link.

My guess is that all the worry about vibration affecting electronics is a hangover from the valve days. The gain devices in a solid state amp are silicon chips solidly mounted inside plastic mouldings to the extent that they cannot vibrate independently. My thoughts are that if vibration in sensitive solid-state electronics were a real problem, the aviation industry would have discovered it? I'll have to check.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 10:35pm
This article talks about amplification but it refers to mechanical amplification of movement. I can find no evidence that vibration affects the circuitry.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.366.3261&rep=rep1&type=pdf
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 10:14am
Thanks Graham.  Fair comment although there is a difference between transmission of a signal to 'work' and transmit as much of a pure and accurate signal as needed in a first class analogue (or digital) system.  Whilst I am certainly not saying there will be a detrimental effect, my experiments with differing substances under my amp and CD player (incl, wood, metal, rubber, felt feet or supports) does provide subtle changes to sound and presentation -similar on both.  Some ridiculously expensive speakers are active so sure manufacturers will have tried this and speaker crossovers also are mounted even closer to the drivers.

Everything in life is a compromise and suppose having active or amp mounted on speakers will loose the speaker cables so perhaps swings and roundabouts?

Regards

Richard
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 11:36am
Fair point, and there is still much to be learnt. Audio measurement is stuck in the dark ages - there are new things we need to measure. It's like this: we once thought there was a difference between the sound of one telephone system and another, so we (the human race represented by pioneering engineers) discovered distortion, and found ways to measure it. In this age however, we would be ridiculed for suggesting such a difference, and distortion would be classed as a myth by forum trolls.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526>
  Share Topic