New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Proprius and high efficiency single driver speaker
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Proprius and high efficiency single driver speaker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>
Author
Jackal008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proprius and high efficiency single driver speaker
    Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 6:13am
This info may well already exist in this forum somewhere, however could you more learned folk advise if a pair of Proprius amps would be OK with high efficiency single driver speakers? Note, I am running a Reflex M and Elevator EXP as pre-amp stage and NAD C356BEE integrated amp.

Examples of speakers for reference to would the Omega or Hoyt-Bedford ranges where they require minimum 2W or 1W respectively.

If they are a good pairing, what are examples of how they are incorporated into a stereo system i.e. source (TT) into EXP into Reflex M then NAD C356 split into Proprius then into speakers?

This project's getting bigger...
Carl

First album I heard as a kid: LA Woman - The Doors
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 6:59am
Me thinks a slight misunderstanding has taken place regarding "minimum of 2W or 1W..."

I read "Power Requirement: as little as 2 watts" on one spec. and also noted the following statement...

"ALL AMPLIFIER TYPES WELCOME

Hoyt-Bedford speakers are true thoroughbreds, but with a difference, they are friendly to all amp types and present an easy 8 ohm load. They, however, clearly reflect what is in front of them, so a quality amp is paramount not to mention source, interconnects, and speaker wire. You might say "that leaves me out". Not true, because there are a lot of affordable, quality amps, sources, interconnects, and speaker wire out there that punch far above their weight and price point that will work well with these speakers."

Given that the Proprius will drive the Harbeth M20 monitors which Harbeth say requires a 40 watts amp - and the Proprius does 45.5 watts into 4 Ohms, which the M20 is... then from the information provided, the Omega or Hoyt-Bedford speakers will be easily catered for.

The bit that says "Not true, because there are a lot of affordable, quality amps, sources, interconnects, and speaker wire out there that punch far above their weight and price point that will work well with these speakers." could easily describe what we have to offer... not only the Proprius, but the Spatia speaker cables and links, Lautus interconnects, and of course: the Reflex M and Elevator EXP.

With just the one analogue source??? The very next step would be the Majestic DAC and you'd have a complete Slee amplification system Smile

If it were possible to do a road show in Sydney I could wow you with its sound. Unfortunately the nearest I can get to you is Aylesbury in England in May - but I'll be demo'ing the above mentioned items there.

Best regards,

Graham

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Jackal008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 7:12am
Graham

Thanks for such a quick reply, I can now start plotting a path ahead. I could just well be in the market for a new DAC, so there you go. A complete GSP setup would be very welcome indeed.

Carl
Carl

First album I heard as a kid: LA Woman - The Doors
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 2:49pm
I get the impression there are a few of us in Australia dying to hear the Majestic DAC along side our GSP phono preamps and Proprius power amps.
Shaun the Sheep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shaun the Sheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 10:52am
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but, hey, here goes!

Firstly a great many thanks to Fatmangolf for arranging the loan of a pair of Slee-Ps (Proprius monoblocks!). They arrived as promised, along with a lovely pair of phono-to-xlr interconnects. We are down-sizing and have sold our massive Tannoy speakers and Quad 909 monoblocks. We have just invested in a pair of Electric Beach Frugal 3s - a full-range single driver speaker using the Mark Audio Alpair 7.3 driver. They are more domestically acceptable than the old Tannoys and, frankly, sound much better. Amazing bass, vitality and transparency. I had considered building a pair myself but then I saw the Electric Beach version. No contest!

We need an amplifier to drive these speakers and our preferred option is a pair of monoblocks. Hence the trial of the Slee-Ps. We have a very simple set up - Quad 99 CDP/Pre-amp, directly connected to a pair of monoblocks which are then connected to the speakers with as short a length of speaker cable as possible. We have a PS3 connected to the CDP, using one of the optical-ins, to perform streaming, gaming and TV duties.

The Proprii arrived just before we took delivery of the Frugal 3s so we ran them up with a pair of JBL Control 1 mini-monitors from our (pompous name!) 'home studio.' £1,300-worth of amps and £70 speakers - surely some mistake? Not so. There's a reason why there is a pair of Control 1s in just about every professional recording studio: they are brilliant at what they do. And they certainly excelled with the Graham Slees. Massive soundstage, immense clarity but, and much more importantly to a family of musicians, real musicality. Toe-tapping, head-nodding, emotion-stirring stuff.

So, what about the full-range Frugal 3s? There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Proprius Monoblocks are outstanding but would they be suited to something a bit more 'esoteric?' No worries on that score. Our Frugals arrived fully run-in and we're duly set up as instructed by Steve Jay from Electric Beach. Insert CD, light blue touch-paper and stand back. Brilliant stuff. All the attributes exhibited by the Control 1s with knobs on. The signs of a great set-up seem to be: "I heard things on tracks I've known for years that I've never heard before." - check; 'the soundstage seemed to stretch from one wall to another' - check; 'the sound was highly detailed and involving without being fatiguing - I listed for hours.' - check; 'high frequencies sparkle, vocals sound 'in the room' and bass is full, rich but controlled' - check.

Sounds like a eulogy doesn't it, but, in our room, with our selection of music this has been the best sound we have ever heard. My wife's immediate reaction on hearing the Slee-Ps with the Control 1s was: 'Why do we need new speakers, just buy the amps!'. But we were already committed to the Frugal 3s and, once they were installed, they took things to a completely new level. Musically satisfying, emotionally involving, and domestically acceptable to boot. The quality of finish that Steve Jay from Electric Beach achieves is excellent. The diminutive Slee-Ps disappear on the equipment rack. The possibility of mounting them on, or next to, the speakers is also worth exploring. 

Just two problems. The demo amps had to go back and we have to find £1,500.00 for a pair of Proprii and a pair of interconnects! Now, where is that lottery ticket.......
Shaun.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 2:33pm
'Cracking' write up Shaun! I see the Frugal 3s have a sensitivity of 85.8dB. Useful for others to know . . .

You say the Frugal 3s have amazing bass; how does it compare with the big Tannoys you had - I'm sure they weren't shy in the bass department? I've often wondered about single driver speakers, but expected them to be deficient at lower frequencies. 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
apr59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apr59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 3:41pm
Hi All

This looks like a good place to start my first post.
I'm yet another Australian, I've been living in Brisbane for over thirty years. I too am about to venture into the world of Graham's Proprius mono's with a full set of interconnects and speaker cables.

My current system is a Stello CDT 100 transport, Calyx femto pre DAC and the modern version of the Quad II mono's with a pair of Green Mountain Audio Chroma two way monitors.

It's fair to say any new purchase is a leap of faith however I have heard some Graham's equipment before. Graham and his teem seem like very pragmatic hard working people upholding faith in their home grown product. This is a quality that seems to be sadly diminished in our easy to get society.
And if this purchase turns out to be one of my best decisions I've made audio wise I will be happy to tell you all. I will most likely follow that up by buying Graham's pre DAC.

Best regards to all Scotty
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>
  Share Topic