FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Oppo BDP-105D

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oppo BDP-105D
    Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 8:07am
Just got mine yesterday, after my 7yo Denon broke for good:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-105/blu-ray-BDP-105D-Overview.aspx

Nice solid unit, very hefty. Tried it yesterday with some SACDs and DVD-A, doesn't sound bad at all. With SACD, it does true DSD (actually you can choose if you want to listen to pure DSD or a PCM 24/192 conversion).

On the paper, the specs are impressive, and my ears so far (the unit is still burning in) are quite happy. What I like about this player is that it seems to be made with more care than most other players of the same price range, and that it plays any imaginable format on the planet. Both physical, AND liquid (because it also acts as DAC for external sources).

Of course I am not using the internal headphone amp... I have connected its stereo output to the Solo SRG with a Cusat 50.

Still haven't tried the video features, but it should be great for that too.

Any other owners of the Oppo here?

Edited by Lucabeer - 20 Mar 2014 at 8:27am
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 9:30pm
I was tempted towards an Oppo BDP after my Denon died but I went for a Panasonic instead. I still wonder if I made the right call on this when I read the Oppo reviews.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 21 Mar 2014 at 12:35am
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 8:17pm
Never tried a Panasonic myself (my experience stops at their very good VCRs from many years ago), but so far the Oppo is really good. Very neutral sounding. What really makes me fall in love with it is how "universal" it is. It can play everything you throw at it. Really.
earwiggo View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earwiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 4:34pm
As nearly a year has gone by since you have had this Luca, how does the Oppo sound as a CD player - i'm sure it is good for DVD, but I have been a sceptic that something can be a jack-of-all-trades?
Would be very interested to hear, and also from any fellow 105D or 103D users?

Cheers

Steve
...If only I knew that yesterday!
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 8:03am
Still sounds good to me! It won't make miracles by turning badly recorded (clipped and compressed) CDs into smooth sounding ones... but I don't think it should be expected.

Fantastic performance with SACDs, and as a DAC from my computer with USB and optical connection.

(and lovely fast and glitchless performance with Blurays and all sort of movies on a USB stick)
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 5:48pm
Today I had a little fun...

I have been using the Oppo for 4 years, and I still stand about my praise: great, great player. Too bad they have stopped making them.

But today I got curious and tried its headphone output for the first time. Don't do it. Veiled, muddy. Very warm, but also "thick" and not lively at all. The Solo UL detroys it with no effort: it isn't a matter of preference, it's like night and day. Great player, and great analogue outputs on the back, but don't use its headhpone out (even if some have managed to say good things about it). If someone questions the need for a quality headphone amp, this comparison would be very instructive to open his eyes!

Edited by Lucabeer - 09 Mar 2019 at 5:48pm
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

I was tempted towards an Oppo BDP after my Denon died but I went for a Panasonic instead. I still wonder if I made the right call on this when I read the Oppo reviews.

Last year I got an Oppo 203 and continue to impressed by the picture and sound I get. It's not got the full DAC facilities of the 205 and its highly regarded predecessor the 105 that Luca has. However I really like it, high quality output and easy to use. I can see why the 103 and 105 continue to be praised.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic