FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What amps are you using?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Dave Friday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 2:51pm
Why do you need a preamp if what your using now works?
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 3:33pm
Hi Dave,
I'm using a Dynavector 10x5 and there isn't really enough gain in the phono stage to drive the power amp (well not enough to annoy the neighbours). Graham kindly gave me an opamp design which I'll build over the weekend as a stop gap but having not listened to any gear recently I was wondering what other people are using to get a bit of a short list. Just being nosey. I also can't decide if the passive is making things sound a bit dull (or is it telling it like it really is?).
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Bi-wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi-wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 4:25pm
Hello Chris,

Yes, the output from your Dyna 10x5 is, I believe, a fairly modest 2.5mV, which might make it hard work for the Era to drive your power amp to the levels you want. As a (sort of) comparison, I use a Dyna DV20X2L MC (output 0.3mV) through a 20x step-up transformer into a Revelation M and on through a passive pre- to drive a pair of valve monoblocks. This combination provides more gain than I know what to do with  -  no chance of turning the volume up to 11 here!

With reference to your last sentence, I am an advocate of passive pres because I think they do tell it as it is. Perhaps you could consider a cartridge with a higher output?

I must stress that, despite reference to output figures above, I actually know nothing about wiggly amps  -  or perhaps that shows Embarrassed

Cheers
Peter

Satisfied user of: Revelation M, PSU1-Enigma, Solo SRGII and lots of CuSat50
Dave Friday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 4:50pm
Hi Chris,that makes sense!so you have the "Era" then a volume control then "naim 180 boards"?
You could use a "Maplin" preamp kit until you've sorted your proper preamp out.
oldagetraveller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldagetraveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by Ernie Ernie wrote:

Is it worth waiting for the preamp? I notice it's been on the cards for a while. Is there a release date?

I've been waiting for further announcements on this too. Here's the last one "The Aria Line Stage line preamplifier is in development and a release date late 2012 is expected."Confused I would love to have tried a GSP pre-amp along with a couple of Proprius to compare with my existing amplification. If the  combination was as good as the other GSP stuff I own, I'm sure it would be, then I would have seriously considered a purchase and sold my Naim pre and power amps.
It's unfortunately not going to happen now because my Naim amps are away being serviced/re-capped at the moment (13 years old and well overdue). So after the expense of that exercise there will be no changes happening.
Graham seems to be concentrating more on the zeros and ones for the time being.Cry

Edited by oldagetraveller - 07 Feb 2014 at 5:10pm
Peter

P T- LPT/RB300/G1042, Pink Triangle Tarantella/Nima/Ortofon 2M Black, SL1210II, Naim CD5, NAC112, NAP150, Flatcap2, Proac SC1, GS SoloUL,GS Accession , Senn HD250 & HD540.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2014 at 12:29am
Never wanted to concentrate so much on zeros and ones except that somewhere on this forum (around a couple of years ago) there was much enthisiasm or should I say twisting of one's arm, for me doing a DAC to match the phono stages... to make digital sound more analogue.

I try to do what my customers want - and that's why I set this owner's club up - so that people could talk to me and tell me what they wanted of me. I guess in business that's called marketing, but I see it as a service.

Once I offered to do a DAC the requests poured in for features. Again, this told me what people wanted, and I have done my best to oblige.

Around the same time I asked what preamp features people wanted.

Between those two topics a simple preamp idea became a highly featured preamp idea and things like tone controls were hotly contested.

Likewise, the DAC idea developed to become much more complicated than a simple coax-in stereo-out.

In both cases my initial idea was to offer something quite basic that did the job well. In the case of the DAC it now has 8 inputs: 3 coax; 3 optical; 1 USB; and 1 Analogue, an output level control; single ended outputs and balanced outputs.

Originally it could have fitted into a regular Reflex/Solo size case only requiring new punchings of the existing front and rear 'blanks'. However, to meet members wishes it has entailed the commisioning of a brand new case.

The complexity of the PCB is such that it had to be split into 3 assemblies. Over the past two years it has taken around 12 months research, development and testing; cost a fortune in parts; and neccesitated the purchase of £10K of test gear. I'm either the most helpful engineer on the planet or I am a complete fool?

Back to the line preamp, and that too found it had to meet every requirement or "I'm not buying it". It is a complete pain designing a remote control if you're not the likes of Marantz, Sony, Arcam, Naim etc, who have tons of human resources - I am a lone designer.

It's not just the remote control (which I have a working prototype of) but all the other facilities each who chipped in required.

The initial idea was for 3 inputs, a single ended output and a balanced output, with a manual volume control... easy! Here again it could have been engineered into a Solo sized case, but....

So, I reckon in future I just make something, announce it, and hope I sell one or two. Then maybe I don't get pilloried for taking so long? CryCryCryCryCry

Graham
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2014 at 12:48am
Graham, please be assured that those who know your quality of sound and workmanship are willing to wait for any new offerings you have.
This is why we have joined the forum.

Others, please have patience, Graham has burned too many midnight candles to date.

Here to help,
Bruce
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic