FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What amps are you using?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What amps are you using?
    Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 4:32pm
Hi All,
Been tinkering with odds and sod for the last couple of years now and hadn't actual bought a new piece gear until buying an Era last week since 1996. How time flies! I've got a Naim cd3.5, a Naimesque power amp, a passive preamp, LP12(Ittok LVII, Dynavector 10X5, Hercules), Sonos and the aforementioned Era driving a pair of ProAc SC1 speakers.

So I'm potentially looking for a new amp(s). Wouldn't mind looking at Proprius but what about a preamp? What are people using out there? Just interested to know what gear people are using these days. I like the Naim gear for its apparent clarity and authority but I do hanker for the sound stage I used to get from my old Musical Fidelity E10 wooly though it was. Clarity, soundstage and a bit of authority am I asking much?
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 4:57pm
Hi Chris,

I'm wondering what a "Naimesque" power amp is . . . Wink

If you only have one analogue source, and one or more digital sources Graham's new Majestic DAC would fit the bill. I'm using it as a pre-amp with vinyl and digital sources. My first impressions with just vinyl were that it was the clearest I'd heard, such was the improvement over my previous pre-amp.

Listening on speakers today to digital sources, even though the unit is far from burnt in, the sound stage sounds enormous. I'm using it with active speakers, but in my  AV system a couple of Proprii do a stunning job with music and movies, and like the Majestic, installing these with Graham's Spatia speaker cable increased dynamics, depth and detail. As I'm writing this I know I'll have to put the Majestic in the living room system at some point out of sheer curiosity and let it drive the Proprii. I'm certain I won't want to put it back in the study . .

Also, next up on Graham's development plan is a pukka pre-amp. Judging by the Majestic it'll be a corker if you can wait for it.

Edit: forgot to say to - why not take advantage of the loan scheme to try kit out for yourself?

Edited by morris_minor - 06 Feb 2014 at 4:59pm
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 7:21pm
Hi Bob,
Naim 180 boards with some transformers I had made. Err bit confused, I know nothing of the Majestic DAC, how are you using it as a preamp for an analogue source?
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 7:59pm
It's a shame the Majestic DAC Preamp product page isn't up yet. The spec is all hidden away in the rather mega Big DAC thread. It is a preamp DAC with one analogue and five digital inputs; 2 optical, 2 coaxial and 1 USB.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 8:28pm
Sound interesting Ifor, how much are they? Should I be sitting down?
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 8:31pm
Graham's not published the price yet, but some, like Bob, are in the know.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 1:59pm
Is it worth waiting for the preamp? I notice it's been on the cards for a while. Is there a release date?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic