FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Majestic DAC impressions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 52>
Author
Wiscos View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wiscos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 9:56am
Mick, look up PS Audio Directstream and Directstream Junior. Both convert all incoming data to 10x dsd or something like that and filter. I have heard this machine and it's excellent if pricey.
The new Marantz SA-10 does something that sounds rather similar (possibly copying PS Audio?) but lower factor of upscaling.
Any software like JRiver MC and the others do on the fly conversion from pretty much anything to anything including upscaling and downscaling, and dsd can be converted to PCM instantly. In fact I will need to use this to convert all my files to PCM 48k for the Majestic.
Incidentally, many DACs automatically upscale the incoming digital feed including (I believe) the Majestic whose chip seems to upscale to 8x input to allow simpler filtering around the Nyquist frequency issue. Early 4x over sampling DACs from Philips / Marantz did something similar.
Wiscos View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wiscos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 10:04am
Sorry Mick, should have said Chris mostly but agree with your sensible comments. Chris has a slight tone of mis-trust that I hope my response will cure!
Digital audio is not well understood by most hifi bods in my experience, and especially what increasing sample rates really mean in terms of sound quality, but you absolutely have to trust your ears. I also think higher sample rate files on my Oppo seem smoother as does dsd, but it is pretty hard to tell and I sort of 'want' to hear a difference to justify the extra cost.
How many megapixels do you need on a camera? Perhaps it's the marketing department that needs to justify more megapixels and ever-increasing sample rates to shift new hardware and software?
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 10:18am
...as the saying goes it isn't size that matters it is what you do with it, the camera analogy is a good one.
Wiscos View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wiscos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 10:28am
Sadly my ex-wife might not agree with you...
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 10:34am
I personally treat digital signals and analogue signals the same as they both involve electron motion/oscillation and the transmission of electromagnetic waves through the conductor. (The signal speed is the same as that of the electromagnetic waves that propagate). The transmission frequencies are very different but the core physics is much the same. 0 and 1 is just signal off and signal on. I reckon signal strength is the main determinant of its susceptibility to interference.

Whoops, gone off on a tangent again. My thinking is that beyond CD 16-bit 44.1kHz resolution, the analogue output stage is more vital for getting the best sound out. Luckily Graham is a vinyl/analogue expert. How convenient for us.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Wiscos Wiscos wrote:

Sorry Mick, should have said Chris mostly but agree with your sensible comments. Chris has a slight tone of mis-trust that I hope my response will cure!
Digital audio is not well understood by most hifi bods in my experience, and especially what increasing sample rates really mean in terms of sound quality, but you absolutely have to trust your ears. I also think higher sample rate files on my Oppo seem smoother as does dsd, but it is pretty hard to tell and I sort of 'want' to hear a difference to justify the extra cost.
How many megapixels do you need on a camera? Perhaps it's the marketing department that needs to justify more megapixels and ever-increasing sample rates to shift new hardware and software?

Chris does not have a tone of mistrust.
Chris was unaware of any DACs that were capable of transcoding on the fly, that's all.

Most DACs are basic things - you feed them a data stream that the DAC is capable of  processing and off it goes.
The transcoding bit is usually absent.

As for the rest of the (quoted) post, greater bit depth and higher sampling frequencies do not necessarily equate to better sound quality.
Higher numbers are just higher numbers, but if the source material isn't right in the first place, then it'll never right.
All higher sample rate will do is make the DAC switch to a different analogue output filter, and this is where any perceived audible improvement lies.

It's the same with digital photography.
The number of pixels is used as marketing spiel.
If you don't have quality optics in the first place, then nothing can compensate.
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 5:54pm
IMHO the Majestic is an absolutely fantastic piece of kit that has made the most difference to my digital hi-fi system. Borrow one on the loan scheme and, in spite or because of, the quoted technical spec, you will have to buy one. I was lucky enough to be asked to review an early prototype. I have to tell you that it blew my mind and revealed a sound quality and detail that I had never realised existed on my CD collection. It was like having a brand-new music library.

It was so good that I had to buy two. One for my headphone system in the bedroom and the other for my hi-fi system in the lounge. It really is that good!
'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 52>
  Share Topic