FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Majestic DAC impressions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 52>
Author
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 12:53am
Congrats Jon! I'm hoping to get one for myself for Christmas, so I best be good now. Smile

Edited by suede - 21 Sep 2014 at 10:40am
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan
McHolmeM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McHolmeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 10:02am
Saw a Majestic in one of the dem rooms at Whittlebury Hall yesterday, wasn't in use at the time I passed by.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 11:32am
Originally posted by McHolmeM McHolmeM wrote:

Saw a Majestic in one of the dem rooms at Whittlebury Hall yesterday, wasn't in use at the time I passed by.

There were two I saw, one in Origin Live along with the new mystery phono stage, only heard the phono stage - rather good despite the awful room acoustics. The second was in the Divine Audio demo. When I was there it was playing via USB from a laptop, again a more than creditable performance.
What puzzles me about these shows is why after spending so much to be at the show, why don't exhibitors make an effort to optimise the rooms with a little acoustic treatment. Vast improvements could be achieved for only a few tens of pounds on simple acoustic panels.
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 2:22pm
Ian - did you hear those Origin Live speakers suspended from their stands? Long enough to form any impressions?
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by BackinBlack BackinBlack wrote:

What puzzles me about these shows is why after spending so much to be at the show, why don't exhibitors make an effort to optimise the rooms with a little acoustic treatment. Vast improvements could be achieved for only a few tens of pounds on simple acoustic panels.

The other room correction solution that hotel demos should consider is digital correction. Using something like DEQX allows you to both see (graphs on the laptop), hear in real time and adjust with music playing until the room literally ‘disappears’. That is not an exaggeration

I once did a trick at home where I corrected phase, timing & room effects for a standing position as you entered the door and it surprised visitors as they stood there and I clicked that particular preset configuration. The rest of the room sounded boomy but it was crystal clear at that position

Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 3:05pm
If organisers aren't going to optimise a room for speaker playback then the demonstration should be performed outside where the speaker can operate in completely free space. Either this or put the speakers in the middle of an enormous empty warehouse and huddle everyone for nearfield listening. I hate speakers in crappy rooms; bass signature is very annoying and I do not believe that I should have to implement multi-thousand pound DSP correction software to bring back completely neutral behaviour. The easiest way to get rid of room interaction is to get rid of the room. Just my purist/eccentric view.

Although let me add that I really respect Andrew's approach to speaker correction.

Edited by Ash - 21 Sep 2014 at 3:09pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

If organisers aren't going to optimise a room for speaker playback then the demonstration should be performed outside where the speaker can operate in completely free space.

Well Ash it sounded great until my amps exploded in the rain Shocked

...apologies from me too...I know exactly where you are coming from !
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 52>
  Share Topic