FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Majestic DAC impressions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 52>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 3:45pm
I hadn't commented on it before, but, yes, the Majestic does make MP3s a lot more listenable! An exceptional piece of kit!

See you guys in Aylesbury Thumbs Up
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2014 at 9:43pm
The Majestic is beginning to really settle in - I have been spinning several CDs and digital FLAC files for the past few hours, taking a rest from vinyl playback. As the weeks go by, the sound just gets better and better, in fact sounding so smooth and sweet that I have to remind myself that this is not pure analogue - it's that good. Images are rock solid, hanging in a totally believable and deep arc across the room and tonally as near to perfect as I have ever heard
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 7:47am
At the Cranage audio show, Graham played part of the Jean-Michel Jarre album - Aero through the Majestic as part of his demo. It was the first time I had heard this and it was completely spellbinding. Several other visitors sat transfixed in silence too, it was that good. I have since purchased a copy for myself (Amazon have it used inc DVD for literally pence + postage)

Last night was my first opportunity for many weeks to have an extended listening session and this was the initial album I listened to

Maybe it’s because my Majestic is now nearing its optimum performance, maybe it’s the combination of an exceptionally well recorded and mastered album or the fact that I have a precisely aligned room/speaker combo. Nevertheless, I experienced one of the best evenings of home musical pleasure I can recall in a long time. The soundstage was vast and deep, from a point about 3 feet in front of the chair to sometimes many feet behind the plane of the speakers. That is nothing new. What was surprising though was the degree of placement and separation, pin-point images were literally hanging in space. Open baffle speakers also provide sensationally fast and colouration-free transients which this album provides throughout. Stunning and very addictive (sorry to say that my HD 540II headphones / any others I have heard come nowhere close to this)

The album intersperses beautiful and dramatic electronic prog music with a variety of bewildering and sometimes awe inspiring sound effects…fluttering birds, footsteps, swirling mechanical noises and, on track four deep rolling thunder and steadily falling rain. These were so lifelike that the thousands of individual raindrops were layered within the soundstage, clearly separated apart whilst at the same time the thunder crackled away seemingly in the very far distance exactly as if outside the house. Goose-bump moments. My wife came to see what was going on and on repeat play of tracks 3-4 just used one word ‘incredible’…. then left the room and returned to her very 2D TV world

Others on this forum told me that the Majestic just keeps getting better over the first couple of months and I have to wholeheartedly agree. I played other CD albums/FLACs last night, all sounded fantastic but that Jean-Michel Jarre album played through the Majestic DAC has a way of drawing you in like few others I own…. and this is from a vinyl ‘obsessive’

(Maybe I should have posted this in the 'music' section but it is the Majestic that has elevated my digital enjoyment to such levels)

Andrew
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 8:52am
Thanks for the recommendation Andrew. I have just ordered myself a "used - as new" copy for under a fiver. I only know his first two albums.

I've not tried the Majestic yet. I emailed Jon a few weeks ago, but got no response and now he seems to have gone missing.

Edited by ICL1P - 05 Jul 2014 at 9:44am
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 9:41am
I am confident you will enjoy this Ifor - I owned Equinoxe and Oxygene as LPs before this but Aero takes things to another level, re-interpreting much of that music

(Maybe we will meet sometime if you are visiting your brother in Chester)
Andrew
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 9:53am
Just wait until you have Proprius in the chain too. No headphone will give the same spatial abilities as speakers that have been optimised, as you know. HD540II and HD800 have the same physical limitation and whilst AKG K1000 will get closer, speakers still win. They are the most natural listening experience.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 1:14pm
I think John will be at the tour De France this weekend. I know he is a bike lover. If I was you I would keep trying.
'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 52>
  Share Topic