FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Majestic DAC impressions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 52>
Author
Stewboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stewboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Aussie Mick Aussie Mick wrote:

Ha! I decided to do a Sinatra session tonight. Both studio albums with Count Basie, Live at The Sands and LA Is My Lady. My beer got warm from being ignored.
Mick.

That's some statement from an AussieLOL
Equipment choices:

Playstation 3 SACD, Bitzie DAC, Meridian Explorer DAC, Lautus USB cable, HD250-II, HD650
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 10:19pm
For what it's worth I liked the Majestic so much I bought two. Each one for a different room!
'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by msphil msphil wrote:

For what it's worth I liked the Majestic so much I bought two. Each one for a different room!

That says a lot.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

Well, I didn't get to listen a lot last night; just the one album and was interrupted by a phone call from my mother and dinner. FWIW, my immediate first impression was that it is so easy to listen to. A couple of years or so ago I brought home, for a few days, a Cyrus DAC/amp from the local Audio-T. I put on Queen's Innuendo and we were gobsmacked by how good it sounded ... for 5 or 10 minutes, before it sunk in that we actually hated its harshness and couldn't possibly live with it. I'll listen to Innuendo through the Majestic later today.

A few days late, but we have now listened to Innuendo spun on the Cyrus CD8 SE through the Majestic and it sounded really good. None of the digital harshness we experienced through the top of the range Cyrus integrated DAC/amp.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 11:48am
Nearly a week in to using the Majestic as preamp in addition to DAC. It's changed. Not enough "o"s in smooth to describe it (thanks for the line, Sherman Potter). Bass is tighter and a little deeper, but the extra texture (I use that word a lot in describing this thing) is a winner. I'm getting a very clear delineation between cello and bass sections in orchestral music, Flea's bass is way more articulate, all LP's make more sense, especially jazz ones, and sound stages are held solidly in space regardless of volume level. No wandering of images with pitch changes. My speakers are better than I thought they were. What a bonus.
Mick.
PS - thanks for the concern over my beer getting warm. I've switched to single malt. Problem solved.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 12:36pm
Friday night was my turn for one of our regular 'music nights' with my 5 closest friends, all long time music fans

After an hour or two, whilst spinning a couple of tracks from one of his CDs, the one sat in the centre chair asked 'what has happened to your CD player, it sounds so real sitting here?' The CD transport looked exactly as it has for several years so he didn't realise that the little Majestic sitting on a separate shelf was the reason for the transformation since last time. They all seemed most impressed

The sound signature from vinyl and digital is now almost indistinguishable (apart from the occasional rice crispie and popcorn pop that is Wink )

Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Aussie Mick Aussie Mick wrote:

I'm getting a very clear delineation between cello and bass sections in orchestral music, Flea's bass is way more articulate
I don't think many orchestras would appreciate Flea in the bass section though....

Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 52>
  Share Topic