FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Majestic DAC impressions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 52>
Author
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 10:38pm
I shall just have to make a two way switch in an aluminium box with hard wired interconnects - simples!!
Only problem is the time to make it would not be Majestic listening time.
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
audionewbi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audionewbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 1:22am
How much does the Majestic DAC cost?

Edit: Just saw the pricing, wish I knew about this DAC sooner, might have got this instead of HUGO. 

Edited by audionewbi - 26 Apr 2014 at 1:24am
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 7:57pm

I have listened to my new Majestic for the past four days and now feel able to comment objectively on some of its considerable strengths

Firstly, at the risk of repeating what has already been said, my impression is of a very ‘grown up’ musical signature without any trace of digital harshness. I have not experienced that before from CDs or digital files. Dynamics, attack and timing are also spot on, nothing is overblown or lacking. It is extremely ‘realistic’ sounding

Comparing to what I had previously, it is as if an enthusiastic shouty teenager has transformed into a full range adult performer. It doesn’t mean the former was bad, however the Majestic is much more listenable and absolutely without fatigue over extended listening sessions. The biggest surprise has been with lower resolution MP3s where the improved smoothness is really noticeable. That is a nice little bonus

I am also pleased that I have at last tamed the huge difference in volume between analogue and digital sources. My turntable/phono is fed directly into the main pre-amp and I have equalised the volume of the Majestic accordingly. This is using a balanced Jack-to-balanced XLR Lautus cable into the main pre-amp

Switching to the analogue input on the Majestic (SACD in my case), volume is still at the same level and by muting the balanced output via the volume control, I can listen to headphones via ULDE connected to the Majestic fixed level phono out

The Digital mute feature when switching between CD and Streamed sources is useful (there is a slight thud without this), as is the ability to switch out digital circuitry when listening to the analogue source. I have not used optical or USB inputs yet

All in all a very well thought out piece of kit, fully in keeping with the principles of ‘pure sound’ that Graham employs. As a vinyl user I also rather enjoy the ritual of getting up to switch manually between sources etc rather than via a lazy remote. Without all that extra circuitry, maybe this also plays a small part towards the exceptional sonic quality

Well done on yet another great piece of kit

My rather exhausted stylus is also grateful for this purchase….Wink

Edited by Drewan77 - 20 May 2014 at 8:13pm
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 8:33pm
Hi Andrew
You ain't seen nothing yet! Just wait till it's been burned in for a few weeks/months it gets better and better!
'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 8:35pm
I also look forward to joining the Majestic club in the near future. Big smile
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by msphil msphil wrote:

Hi Andrew
You ain't seen nothing yet! Just wait till it's been burned in for a few weeks/months it gets better and better!

Thanks Phil, I know to expect that with Grahams' kit and it will be a pleasurable ride. I am listening to and enjoying long neglected CDs

I also look forward to many of us meeting in person next week in Aylesbury
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by msphil msphil wrote:

Hi Andrew

I received my production Majestic yesterday, having also had the pleasure of a pre-production unit for the last few months. As Phil says, the improvement over a few months brings the performance to a high level.
Haven't had time to set it up yet, hope to do it tomorrow. So now I have the burn in procedure to go through again
I particularly liked Andrew's summary of the early improvement comparing to a teenager maturing to an adult.
I found it remarkable how it manages to make lower bit rate MP3 and in particular some internet radio sound quite good.
I too look forward to meeting and putting faces to names at the Roadshow.
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 52>
  Share Topic