FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Counterweight positioning observation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 11:09pm
The bit about first class levers might point you in the right direction https://www.clear.rice.edu/elec201/Book/basic_mech.html#SECTION00932000000000000000
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 4:19am

There is no reason VTF will be changed, provided the arm is rebalanced to the heavier weight.

Bias should be unaffected since it is a force acting in the lateral plane whilst the counterweight operates in the vertical.

My guess after thinking about it, would be that the greater mass travels through a lesser distance when displaced and when returning to equilibrium, with a resultant decrease in "bounce" or motional "ringing" or overshoot.

Tony G
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 12:09am
Hi Chris, it's more complicated than principle of moments with no friction and no resonances. With that model it wouldn't matter if we had a small counter weight a long way from the pivot. I think Tony is right and it does make a difference to tracking and the sound.

It may be the see-saw effect Tony described, perhaps it affects dampening of the arm resonances, or maybe how quickly the transient energy goes from the arm into the pivot/bearings and arm board.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 6:03am

An aside to this discussion and on the matter of bias setting, I have previously experienced issues with some recordings of groove skipping/repeating (usually associated with minor groove damage) that I have been able to overcome by reducing the bias - which tends to draw the arm outwards if the stylus should momentarily lose contact with the groove directing it inwards.  

It would seem that with the bias reduced there still remains sufficient contact with the groove for the stylus to track correctly.

Not always effective and a thorough clean is my first resort with such issues, followed by close inspection of the surface area in the vicinity of the problem.

Edited by tg - 15 Jan 2014 at 6:04am
Tony G
Sounder 905 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sounder 905 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 2:47am
It seems that 'synthetically' manipulating the counterweight position on a tonearm, whether by using a heavier one than nominal/needed or by adding washers, BluTack and whatnot yet maintaining the same VTF as before probably does affect the entire tonearm's center of gravity. Chris referred to reduced arm inertia which I thick is a factor here. There was a fascinating article over on Vinyl Engine over the last few months that discussed 'Some Thoughts On Turntable Design'. Among other things relating to physics and resonances it mentioned the arm's 'moment of inertia'. Directly correlating an arm's overall inertia to it's center of gravity while taking into account it's effective mass, length etc. is frankly beyond me though I wish I could understand it better.

I ask myself, would an arm's 'inertia' really change if it's tracking force and tonearm height (SRA) remained the same? As the record plays and the tonearm 'bobs' up and down to passages of music ever so slightly, the effective SRA may be constantly varying positive and negative from it's stationary angle forming an average of sorts. My guess is if the counterweight positioning is 'synthetically enhanced' to track better, all other things being equal, it's effective SRA average may be biased slightly more positive during loud passages and thus track better.

But in this scenario, it's hard for me to attribute a visual or sonically perceivable change in a tonearm's 'inertia', in and of itself, to be a cause of anything other than a near-immeasurable increase in tracking force. If all else remains the same, I reckon this tracking improvement is rather a symptom of the weight and balance displacement affecting resonances in the tonearm. Maybe I'm wrong and this counterweight positioning modification is indeed a better way of utilizing the available weight for tracking performance and unrelated to other factors (insert proverbial lick of Tootsie Pop here).

Still, I'm a classicist and tend to give the designer the benefit of the doubt on such matters, even if that designer happened to take a 'noncorrectionist' approach like Rega supposedly does according to the OP of that Vinyl Engine article. While I think it's a cool solution to certain tracking problems I'd probably only attempt it when needed due to fear of undue wear, suboptimal performance of other unknown factors etc. Unless my ears told me otherwise. It's good to be back.

Steven
Sounder 905 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sounder 905 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 8:20am
Or, as it was put much more concisely by Drewan77 in the Counterweights and VTA comments:

"The counterweight is now further forward than the original Rega version (but not as much as using the correct Rega calibrations which places it very near the pivot - tracking was good but I didn't like the musical signature as much)"

Sometimes I get so tripped up on trying to understand why something works without really understanding it's underlying basic mechanics, all I can discern is some sort of abstract law of counterbalance and comprimise in my own trial & error.

BTW thanks Chris for linking to that bit, the levers and inertia stuff I really should read up more on.

tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 9:36am

I would add that in Andrews case, the arm in question is dynamically balanced rather than statically balanced (it uses a spring to apply VTF).

He also observed that the setup he settled on seemed to reduce what may have been ringing from the VTF spring, an issue on which others have commented in the past and one of the reasons the RB250 based arms have been more popular as a base for modifications, since they do not have this spring arrangement.

Tony G
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic