FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Is it a Jazz Club?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it a Jazz Club?
    Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 12:07pm
I seem to have a rather early model?

No problem with the front end, instead of 3 toggles it has one toggle and a rotary switch:

What has me worried is the back, because not all of it makes sense to me Ermm

Top row RCA's - input
Bottom row - output
is still ok, but i have no idea what to do with

INPUT1 / SOLO / INPUT2?
Possibly somebody might be kind enough to explain that to me, please.

As an additional question, on the more modern Jazz Club an optional mono switch is shown, would it be possible to implement such a switch on this model as well? And equally important, is that something i could do, or is it necessary to send it to GSP? Considering the postal rates of Spain and the UK, DIY would be the preferred option, since tools from a soldering pencil to a small machine shop are available.

Lots of questions for the end of the year, but help is appreciated as always.

I wish everybody a Happy and Successful New Year.
Best regards,
Werner
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 2:28pm
Ten years ago that was all I could afford to have made, and what a pain it was! The panels were punched on a CNC brake, then de-burred in a 'rumbler' and then powder coated at a large electrical manufacturer in the middle of Rotherham, the artwork was done by a graphic artist I've known donkey's years, but had to be made into a transparency using 'witches-brew' because gallery cameras had become as rare as rocking horse s***; then finally the printing was done at another Rotherham firm who'd rather had been doing printed circuits, using UV curing PCB notation ink not designed to go on black! The weather was crap and my Bluebird had just died so I had to run about in a Sierra firing mostly on three cylinders... what a nightmare!

The rear panel had to serve two purposes: the phono stages and the Solo, hence the confusing rear panel markings.

Top sockets are inputs - bottom sockets are outputs.

To arrange for a mono switch each output needs a 1k series resistor then place the switch between their output ends.

By April 2004 I found an anodiser in West Yorkshire and some German extrusions which alleviated the nightmare (to a degree) and gave rise to the silver boxes you see today.

Graham

Edited by Graham Slee - 29 Dec 2013 at 2:32pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
wer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 3:25pm
Thank you Graham.
Sounds like an episode from the good old days, reminded me of my early freelancing days.

Best regards,
Werner
wer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 11:25am
Back again Smile

I got hold of a few GE mono cartridges (RPX, VRII) because i think they may be interesting for 78's. However the input impedance of the JazzClub - 47k i assume - is a bit low for them, since they are said to give their best at or even above 100k.

Is there an easy way of adapting input impedance, i wonder, internally or even externally with a simple resistive circircuit?

Thank you once again for your help.
Best regards,
Werner
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 2:49pm
The manufacturer stated 47k was good. Maybe it sounds better at 100k with some preamps, systems and rooms? Doubt if they've used a Jazz Club.

The load info can be seen in the 2nd column of this ad.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
wer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 4:26pm
Thank you very much again Graham, will have a go as it is.

May i use a copy of this ad on Lencoheaven, with a reference of where it is from?
Best regards,
Werner
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 7:21pm
It is not mine to give. I just found it online and pulled the image into the post from where it is hosted, which is: http://img.xooimage.com/files44/6/0/e/gevrstyli_2-1807bae.jpg

If you do the same you should be OK because you aren't copying the image and it gives link juice to the owners domain. If Lencoheaven uses BB codes (like here) you enclose the address in image tags. The BBcodes link near the bottom of this page shows how.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic