FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Topic ClosedPSU1 Constructors KIT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Topic: PSU1 Constructors KIT
    Posted: 29 Jul 2008 at 5:11pm
PSU1 Constructors Series Kit

It's been the first time in a couple of years that today I've built some of our PSU1 power supplies.

(photo of the 230 volt ready-built version)

Although I'd designed it in the first place and then slightly redesigned it again in 2004 to obtain CSA(UL) and IEC safety certificates, John has been putting them together for the past 2 years. I'd just about forgot how to do them in that time.

So it was a bit like trying to fathom out a DIY project without any instructions, I thought, and then immediately the thought of offering them as a kit sprang to mind.

The case would come pre-drilled/machined to save the frayed nerves of anyone who can't stand fiddly shaped holes like that required for the mains inlet - in fact, its position is important from a safety aspect, so best we machine that bit for you.

It will still be a challenge though: It's safety and ultimate performance will still hinge on good construction skills but most hardened kit builders should not find it a daunting task - I guess many will find it a piece of cake!

The kit will feature the latest tweaks like the UF4000-series discrete bridge rectifier which replaces the bridge rectifier unit (this change was done sometime last year).

The PSU1 is one of the best "sounding" linear audio power supplies on the market, suitable for single rail use. It gives out 24 Volts DC (regulated) and is conservatively rated at 200mA to ensure it keeps its cool, but will deliver far more to satisfy short duration transients.

Available in 230 and 120 volt 50/60Hz versions (the 120V will work in Japan).

More info to follow.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2008 at 10:31am
Definitely interested if postage is a little more sensible than 40 GBP.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 12:36pm
It may be much safer to use "normal" post on kits than it is on equipment. We may offer both options.

The kit website will be http://www.diy-audio-kits.com but at present there's nothing there to view - working on it.Geek
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 12:03am
Fair comment.
I must admit that paying postal insurance seems like a sophisticated version of paying bribes to officials to ensure that they do what you have already paid them to do.
Perhaps I am being cynical in this.
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by tg tg wrote:

Fair comment.
I must admit that paying postal insurance seems like a sophisticated version of paying bribes to officials to ensure that they do what you have already paid them to do.
Perhaps I am being cynical in this.

You are not being cynical, just pointing out a fact that we as consumers put up with because we are fools I guess. Same goes for tracking and delivery confirmation. Ouch
Miguel
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2008 at 2:26pm
Terry Gilliam has done many a film on the subject ranging from the comically suggestive to the no holds barred "Brazil".

The unfortunate thing is that because of anarchy laws we cannot do a darned thing about it!

Otherwise we would?

I doubt it Wink
dvv View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 9:17pm
TG, I second your motion. Plain daylight highway robbery. And it's global.

Graham - about bloody time. I know you are overworked and underfed, no news, but I seriously think you should have done this a long time ago. Mostly because I tried several prototypes I have hanging around with your amps, and they showed promising results.

Especially the shunt editions ... (hint, hint!)

Anyway, better late than never, as the saying goes. I wish you much luck with it, Graham, and will lay down good money it will only improve your products and image.

Edited by dvv - 07 Aug 2008 at 9:21pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic