FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Topic ClosedPSU1 Constructors KIT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2009 at 5:26am
John,

My reply at http://www.gspaudio-community.activeboards.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=341&PID=2783#2783 should answer quite a lot of your concerns.

Portability places restrictions on what can be achieved - we want convenience, but convenience isn't really conducive to audio quality. Homes, and all other places for that matter, where audio equipment (including laptops) is used need to be dragged into the 21st century. Enforcers want us to economise on energy without them even once considering the implications... typical!

As I discovered one long night surrounded by my colleagues struggling to complete an entire radio studio for delivery onsite the next day: one simple misunderstanding about power supply grounding can bring the whole thing into ruin!

Who misunderstood? I put my hands up! Yes me.

That was 1991. I had taken the ground one quarter of an inch the wrong side of the power supply reservoir caps (the input side). The whole lot hummed! It had to be cured before the desks and ancilliaries could be spec measured. It took two of us to find exactly what I'd done - both of us were the companies designers. One track cut and a jumper wire later, and we had silence, and the spec measurements could be done... "Cinder's would go to the ball"

That was a high current application. A sound card is a low current application by comparison, so such an error would not show up as massive, if at all. All too often it's not the filtering but the grounding sequence. There are only so many printed circuit board designers in this world who understand, but there are lots of boards to design.

I broached this issue with the editor of Electronics World in 1993, but he couldn't see the point. And that's my point!

Virtually all performance problems are down to something as simple as getting the ground sequence right. They don't need a hi-tech solution at all - they need understanding!

So, OK, having worked in broadcast audio, yes, balanced has its positives, but it's used for driving and receiving off long cables. In hi-fi it's used as a crutch! The problem with crutches is that one day they break, and they definitely get in the way.

Often the equipment or wiring isn't at fault - it's simply the way it's used. And if only we could understand it! But the above scenario says we can understand when we have to.

Edited by Graham Slee - 22 Jan 2009 at 5:27am
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
hooograa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2009 at 7:53am
When the PSU kits become available I'll get one or two. My wall wart began screaming like a banshie so I used a STEPS power supply instead. If your solo and reflex are anything to go by I will be happy. David
iamalexis View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 8:54pm
is there any news on when the psu kits will be available as i'm eager to get going on my next kit
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 12:24am
I would be very interested in making one of these PSU1 kits if you are making them available. Is there any way to run 2 GSP devices from one PSU1 with compromising the sound?

[Later I bought a PSU1 ready-made by GSP and am very glad I did. And I read on this website that you could power two devices from one PSU1, but neither should be an Elevator]

Edited by Fatmangolf - 22 Mar 2011 at 8:20pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
on-ga-ku View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 7:57am
Just nudging this thread in case of any good news such as the festive arrival of a PSU1 kit ?

It would suit me ( me me me ... so selfish ! ) immensely as I could buy the transformer locally and possibly save a bit on shipping. I do sometimes ponder if Mr Posty makes more off GSP international sales than the man himself !

Paul

edit: realised immediately after I posted this that the transformer is of course a custom one, so no chance of buying one locally and relieving the tired shoulders of Mr Posty.

Edited by on-ga-ku - 21 Dec 2011 at 8:00am
Laramy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 3:14am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Terry Gilliam has done many a film on the subject ranging from the comically suggestive to the no holds barred "Brazil".

The unfortunate thing is that because of anarchy laws we cannot do a darned thing about it!

Otherwise we would?

I doubt it Wink

We in the USA are free to bitch about the Postal Service and do so at every opportunity.  We also have effective competition in the form of UPS and FedEx.

Brazil is one of my all time favorite films, a true classic.

Edited by Laramy - 27 Jun 2012 at 3:17am
Government is a necessary evil at best and an intolerable one at worst.
Laramy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 3:36am
Never underestimate how important a good supply is.  There is a lot of truth in the adage "Amplifiers simply modulate the power supply."  

I have a Cambridge Dac Magic, which comes with an AC wall wart, which is simply a crummy transformer in a plastic case.  I replaced it with an Avel 30VA toroid, and the results were significant.  Sound images became far more specific, dynamics improved, and the whole music gained a foundation that was not there with the stock wall wart.  Any decent piece of gear can benefit from an upgrade from a wall wart to a real power supply.
Government is a necessary evil at best and an intolerable one at worst.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic