FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Super Voyager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 11:02pm
Fair point Task, my phone has non removable battery, but maybe it needs more safety testing which is expensive.

Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 6:59am
Phone manufacturers may think they're above the law - possibly because they are multi-billion dollar companies like the Banks... and not even Genghis Khan could stand in their way!

However, when it comes to other battery powered products like cameras - in my experience they often comply.

In answer 2.7 here: http://ec.europa.eu/environment/waste/batteries/pdf/questions_answers_directive.pdf you can judge for yourself. But not being able to fight a multi-million dollar law suit with the European Union I simply have to comply!

Back to headphone amplification and the difficulty is in driving your high impedance headphones...

Or I should say, pleasing both high impedance and low impedance headphone users at the same time.

These are the options:

Big battery - big box - high performance --- or --- little battery - small box - poor performance (and low volume on high impedance headphones).

So just like most phones you get poor audio performance, and that's the reason you look toward a separate headphone amp.

How to make a portable headphone amp small?

Answer: fill it full of charge pump ICs or switching mode converters to make use of a low voltage battery.

Result: poor sound.

How to make a portable headphone amp sound good?

Answer: it needs a good power supply.

Voyager MK1 uses a 9V battery.

I will be grateful for your further thoughts in designing this product for you.

Edited by Graham Slee - 20 Nov 2013 at 8:54am
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
franklin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 11:45am
How about a sd card player ? There are many sd card / usb finger device with speakers and dead cheap. There must be some new IC around ??
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 1:02pm
A portable unit containing two rechargable 9V batteries? I would never want to sacrifice sound quality for smaller size. Smile
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Nuance_Ember Nuance_Ember wrote:

I would never want to sacrifice sound quality for smaller size. Smile

Should give you good long term Battery life Wink

Edited by ServerBaboon - 20 Nov 2013 at 4:45pm
Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 3:02pm
We could ask for a wind-up (crank) Voyager... LOL
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by franklin franklin wrote:

How about a sd card player ? There are many sd card / usb finger device with speakers and dead cheap. There must be some new IC around ??

I'm afraid not. Most of these devices carry a 144 pin dedicated chip or otherwise some form of PIC, and are only made cheaply in one place on earth...

Originally posted by Nuance_Ember Nuance_Ember wrote:

A portable unit containing two rechargable 9V batteries? I would never want to sacrifice sound quality for smaller size. Smile

I can assure you it will be 'industrial' but maybe not that industrial.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic