FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Ortofon 2M Black Ordered...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 21>
Author
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 5:50pm
Very strange Graham, the standard counterweight on my RP-6 is about halfway down the stub, using 1.62gms downforce on the 2M Black, set with a little digital stylus gauge.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 5:53pm
Didn't know that even existed.

The Ortofon website does say

'Universal mount fitting a wide range of tonearms. NB: on Technics models please use the auxiliary weight which is vital in this case.'

Yes they are fussy buggers and the VTA is important to get correct. I tend to to balance mine out a bit heavier than 1.5, 1.6g I think.

Needs a few hours to burn in as well, but you will apreciate the need for burn in Wink

I also use a digital scale from Audio Origami who seems to sell the frequently seen Stylus scale cheaper than anywhere else.

I do wonder if the 'super' diamond profiles make them a lot fussier than elipticals.

Edited by ServerBaboon - 21 Nov 2013 at 6:04pm
Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 9:07pm
A time for forgiveness?

(The above replies noted)

It must have been written in the stars that I would indeed be able to appreciate the 2M black because, on the way back from one of nature's breaks, I ventured into the "junk room" and spotted a container. On further investigation I found it contained the elusive Technics arm counterweight adapter.

Off came the Blutack and on went the adapter, and joy of joys - I managed to get the cartridge to balance, and dialled in 1.5 grams!

I know the Technics arm is very accurate for dialled-in settings as I've checked it with The Cartridge Man electronic stylus gauge to within 5% - which is not bad!

So out came the famous Howland West Audio/Hi-Fi Sound stereo test record that was all the rage in the late 70's/early 80's cartridge reviews.

First track up was the first one on side two: bias correction and tracking ability at the outside of the disc.

At 1.5 grams the 2M black sounded like a bee on speed! This track should be easy for any cartridge worth its salt, but perhaps the 'Acos Lustre' arm the Technics uses - identical to what Rega used on the original Planar 2 and 3 - isn't all that good? Ermm

OK, giving it the benefit of the doubt, I dutifully blamed the arm (that sublime sounding arm...) and upped it to 2 grams, where it sounded more like it should (and I take on the point it isn't anywhere near run-in yet).

I then put it on track 6 which repeats the same test for the inside grooves - which is the place on all records that distortion is at its worst.

Again a bee on speed! But here we get to VTA, and the Technics being equipped for arm height adjustment, that is easily tried and retried.

After a number of attempts position 1 on the height adjuster gave the best results - 'the bee flew out the window'.

Going back to 1.5 gram the bee returned. Setting the bias anywhere between 0.5 and 3 grams made no difference, so down force and bias were set at 2 grams.

Turning the test record over you get the dreaded bands A, B and C - lateral modulation tests. If you remember all those old 70's/80's cartridge reviews you'll remember 'band C'.

Band C is notorious at throwing poor styli out of the groove. So how did the 2M black fair? It pulled it off with only a little bit of bee on speed!

Hopefully with a few more hours on the clock, the 2M black will do the above at its rated down force of 1.5 grams but for now its 2.

Around 1980 a pal of mine by the name Garry loaned me an album by Yes. He said this is not your average Yes, and he was right! It was fronted by Trevor Horn and not Jon Anderson. Another bonus was Alan White on drums - much less mechanical sounding than Bruford. Also, Hugh Padgham was at the desk and not Eddie "are you ready Eddie" Offord, so the meters were not stuck permanently in the red!

Track one side two: "Into The Lens" became a favourite and it also helped my 'photographic hearing memory' to develop. The instrumentation and vocals on this track are unforgettable after you've listened to it nearly every day for the six weeks Garry was begging me to return the album!

I had played it using the VMS20EII, and continued to do so after I bought my own copy - and now, using the 2M black, I wanted to hear if everything fitted with my memory of that track.

It sure did! Was I transported back in time? Not exactly because time also contains moods, emotions and events unrelated to the music - but it was close enough.

Engineer Per Windfeldt has done a good job as usual! However, Ortofon give the praise to the aesthetic design company Møller-Jensen, and whilst I can understand that bling is a must for hi-fi lovers (as opposed to music lovers), I think Per should take the credit.

Maybe Møller-Jensen are responsible for the heavy weight of this cartridge?

More to follow as the 2M 'burns in'.

Graham
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 10:34pm

It's a relief and a pleasure to hear you've got it performing well and bringing the music to life, Graham. I was going to send you some counterweights tomorrow!

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
nils1953 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nils1953 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2013 at 5:20pm
Very interesting Graham!
As a new member and owner of a Rega RP 40, I have not been very impressed with the Elys 40, well, at least not yet, but then I have some upgrades on the way for the TT, and have not yet procured the Correct phonostage with the PSU1. Anyway, as I have also read many good things about the MM Black, I was considering this as a favourite option for a further upgrade. It will be most interesting to learn from your experiences.
Nils
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2013 at 9:30pm
Indeed very interesting hearing your findings on the 2M Black Graham. I'm eager to hear more once it's fully run in and 100% calibrated.
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 8:02pm
Graham,

I hope this is run in by now?
Would you care to share your thoughts on the 2M Black.
I'd also be really interested to know if this is worth the difference over the 2M Bronze.

I was tempted to go MC, but the cost of a suitable phono stage or the Elevator EXP means I could buy the 2M Black and use my excellent Reflex M.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 21>
  Share Topic