FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Ortofon 2M Black Ordered...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 21>
Author
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 11:53am
I never experienced end of side tracking issues with the 2M Black but occasionally it struggled in a couple of places on older worn LPs that played through with a 2M Blue stylus on the same body (maybe riding on a different part of the groove wall). Tracking force for the Black was 1.6gms and anti-skate a little lower

The 2M is now on a secondary TT, it displays the same characteristics as above and my main cartridge is now an AT150ANV (after listening comparisons at Aylesbury & Cranage audio shows). This seems to have a slightly smoother & more natural treble, transient attack is a little better and definitely lower surface noise from the vinyl.
Both carts are also now aligned with the Mint protractor so I am sure I am getting the best out of them

The two cartridges have pretty similar signatures and the AT is still available from LP Gear in the USA, very good people to do business with. I also purchased a spare 150MLX stylus as the exchange rate was so good at the time (but won't fit it until the ANV wears out)
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
marshmid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marshmid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 1:04pm
Andrew

Your post helped me come to a decision re. the AT150AN or the Ortofon 2M Black. I now plan to buy the AT150ANV from LP Gear and with a spare stylus.

I would be grateful if you could answer the following:
How long did delivery take?
Roughly how much did delivery cost?
Was the package insured?

I have already ordered the Mint protractor.

Many thanks

Marsh
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 3:21pm
Hi Marsh

Details as below from LP Gear:

Audio-Technica AT150ANV phono cartridge:$759.99
Shipping: Registered Airmail International: $  44.92
Total:                                                      $804.94 to UK

It was delivered within a week, total under £500 and worth every penny!

(+ 150MLX stylus $179.98 which I collected from my daughter when I visited LA in July. No hurry as I only need to use this as a spare)

I will send you a PM with further details about shipping/insurance/importing from LP Gear
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 8:46am

I threatened to comment on the DV XX2 Mk II a while ago, being slack it has taken me until now to fit and align it.

Being very happy with the cartridge I had fitted prior took the edge off the urgency somewhat too.

Still, I have been running it for a couple of days now and it is positively delightful.

Tonally rich and full bodied, it delights in exposing tonal nuances and has lower registers that might make you re-calibrate your sub (if you use one), musically detailed without ever sounding etched.

Does not emphasise the leading edges, nor does it lose them and is not lacking in slam when called for.

I think I read a comment of "relentlessly musical" - I would not disagree.

May take some tweaking to setup to for best performance, but what cartridge doesn't.

Lean, bright, clinical - none of these adjectives apply to this cartridge.

A pianist friend who called by today described the sound as "very natural".

I'm stoked. Thumbs Up

Tony G
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 9:01am
Sounds like a happy ending!
I have a friend who also uses a Dynavector cartridge. I can't remember which, but his musician wife helped audition a variety, and to her mind, there was no other choice possible. It had to be the Dynavector.

I'll try and find out which.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Suggs View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 10:56am
Originally posted by tg tg wrote:

I threatened to comment on the DV XX2 Mk II a while ago, being slack it has taken me until now to fit and align it.

Being very happy with the cartridge I had fitted prior took the edge off the urgency somewhat too.

Still, I have been running it for a couple of days now and it is positively delightful.

Tonally rich and full bodied, it delights in exposing tonal nuances and has lower registers that might make you re-calibrate your sub (if you use one), musically detailed without ever sounding etched.

Does not emphasise the leading edges, nor does it lose them and is not lacking in slam when called for.

I think I read a comment of "relentlessly musical" - I would not disagree.

May take some tweaking to setup to for best performance, but what cartridge doesn't.

Lean, bright, clinical - none of these adjectives apply to this cartridge.

A pianist friend who called by today described the sound as "very natural".

I'm stoked. Thumbs Up

I am just in the same process as you Tony, having fitted a new DV XX2 MkII this week. Still needs a bit of running in, but I agree with your opinion, and it will only improve once it has afew more hours wear.

An excellent cartridge and great value for money compared to some of the more "exotic" beasties out there Thumbs UpThumbs Up
Derek
bakastra View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakastra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 3:15am
Hmmm.. have not seen this thread before! My TT with 2M black arrives tomorrow... actually, today if on Greenwich time. I was sold on Ortofon's replaceable stylus for 78 rpm records...

Edited by bakastra - 19 Dec 2014 at 3:21am
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 21>
  Share Topic