FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Ortofon 2M Black Ordered...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 18192021>
Author
bakastra View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakastra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 10:23am
Originally posted by tg tg wrote:

A good alignment protractor and digital scales

Like this and this or something fancier?
Andrew
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 10:53am
I agree with with Tonys' comments

The digital scales you linked to are almost identical to what I use, much more accurate than a manual balance in my opinion. It's good that it includes the calibrated weight as you can check for accuracy each time before use. The small balance scale that came with my 2M Black turned out to be pretty inaccurate when I checked against the digital version

For alignment, I started off many years ago using a simple 2 point printed or plastic alignment protractor, progressed to a printed arc protractor (the vinyl engine website has many useful versions to accommodate most arms and alignments) and this year jumped to the Mint protractor which is the most accurate (and 'sounds' the best but requires a lot of time). A strong magnifying glass/loupe (..say x20 or x30) and good lighting will help get the best results whatever you decide

Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 11:00am

You could start with that protractor, however the one I would recommend is somewhat dearer, you can read about it and its use in this thread.

Digital scales you can find both cheaper and dearer, many look similar and likely come from the same chinese factory - on ebay price is not necessarily an indication of relative quality - your first link carried a link to one for $11US - here - you pay your money and take your chances.

BTW - since you are having the initial setup done for you, do not change anything until both your phono stage and the cartridge have had time to settle in properly, this may be 50 - 100 hrs of play for the cartridge and up to 600 hours of power on time for a GSP phono stage.

Edited by tg - 19 Dec 2014 at 11:25am
Tony G
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 4:46pm
Revisiting this topic and raising it from the dead, I think I've now completed my assessment of the Ortofon Black.

I have been getting reaccustomed to the Jazz Club phono stage - the switchable EQ version of the Era Gold V.

Up till that my favourite was the AT150ANV, but on listening via the Solo ULDE (and Jazz Club) I found it a tad too showy - emphasizing the highs and mids in a form of artificial way. But what was my reference for this opinion?

We all know how unreliable musical memory is, but I thought I would use it anyway! The test tracks were studio tracks of live versions I heard long ago - long, long ago. The musical memory may be a bit distant but life has a good way of embedding emotions in us at particular times and days - and we can link back to musical experiences using them!

If those emotions are reignited then there's a good chance that at least some bits may be being reproduced in the way they were heard live. Well that's my opinion and anybody who disagrees will be ignored Wink

I'd tagged along to a couple of concerts in particular around 42 years ago. The Sensational Alex Harvey Band Impossible Dream tour being the first - I'd only heard them on records. Although the songs and atmosphere were great, the really touching one was Anthem - complete with Scottish Guards (type) drummer and piper. Learning of Alex's fate one will understand the lyrics "Although it's true I'm worried now, I won't be worried long".

The other concert was from the Uriah Heap Demons and Wizards tour. Now they're a heavy rock band, but incredibly musical... well, sometimes not, but here they excelled themselves.

I had been so taken by these particular live performances that I bought the records. I still have them in my collection, and they're not in bad nick.

I found the Ortofon Black recaptured the emotions even though these are studio versions of the real thing, and it did so far better than the AT150ANV - which I'd previously prefered. This could be due to my listening using headphones - the Solo ULDE - the Sennheiser HD250II's - or a combination. It could also be that this listening session was personal and more immersed than it would have been on speakers - and more revealing being "in the music". Perhaps it shows my speaker set-up is missing something?

I found the Black was being more honest about the music, it wasn't embellishing any of its elements - it was delivering what to my ears is the correct tonal balance of everything - the correct instrumental or vocal inflection that makes music so involving - something the industry is preventing a younger audience experiencing - so the poor buggers will never know! Shame.

You had to be there to witness how the Uriah Heap music was being made, especially Hensley's use of the keyboards - using his left foot to sway the Hammond (I think that's what it was) back and forth - this coming across in the Ortofon Black's rendition. The upright piano is made to sound almost grand. The dark keyboard harmonics of the introduction to Rainbow Demon, rasps musically rather than grating the eardrums.

As the Looney Tunes cartoons sign off: that's all folks!
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 5:11pm
You got to see Uriah Heap! Lucky...!
I keep my copy right next to ELP and Pink Floyd.
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 7:36pm
Ortofon 2M Black and Demons and Wizards, now that is a most splendid combination!
Nice to hear your verdict on the Black, I'd personally swear by it even though I'm not particularly well versed in the world of cartridges. I just know it makes the music come alive in an almost uncanny manner, far from any other reference I have.
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 7:43pm
The thing I find most frustrating about the 2M Black is the poorly designed stylus cover.
Look at it funny, and the tab comes off.

Apparently it's down to the filler in the material, so as mine broke recently, Imordered a clear one from the 2M mono, as it's supposed to be more flexible.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 18192021>
  Share Topic