FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Become a test drive member!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 9:44am
Hi Darren and welcome to the forum.

I echo your comments about listening to jazz; it's great to hear all the detail which only adds to the atmosphere. Get a live set with the chink of glasses in the background and gentle applause after the solos and you have benefits of being there minus the smoke . . . Wink

I'm sure Derek (Suggs) will contact you about the loan soon, but you'll need to borrow a Fanfare 3 as the Gram Amp 2SE is MM only. The Benz' output is only 0.4mV (IIRC). The Fanfare 3 is the equivalent to the GA2SE, but higher up the range you could consider the Reflex C. If you think you'll ever get a MM cartridge, then getting a MM stage and an Elevator EXP step-up amp gives you total flexibility. But the cost escalates somewhat.

Whichever phono amp you choose to borrow I'm sure you'll find it a step up from the integrated amp . . .
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
mandarintje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandarintje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 10:06am
Thanks Bob!
I think my plan is to stick with MC unless there are any benefits of a MM?
Sinatra Live at the Sands comes to mind! on 180g =) you can hear the chinking of the food cart as it goes by =) (and my favourite: 'Smadda wid yo! doyn ye wanna loyn nuthin? " 

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 10:26am
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

but you'll need to borrow a Fanfare 3 as the Gram Amp 2SE is MM only. The Benz' output is only 0.4mV (IIRC).

Now why didn't I spot that? Embarrassed

Sorry Darren.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 10:57am
Hi Darren, and welcome from me too.
Like many I started with MM and moved "up" to MC finally using the Fanfare 3 with a variety of Ortofon MCs. All represented an improvement over my old Audio Analogue Maestro built in phono stage. I then decided to try out Grahams Genera with MM and even though I still use old Ortofon VMS 20 and 30 Mk2 carts/stylus I find the sound much more balanced than the MCs. The Bass in particular has more depth and better timing. I would conclude from this that the best of MM with a Reflex M might be preferable to similar priced MCs even with a Reflex C.
Graham also has some observations on MC vs MC, you might wish to see this thread: Reflex C -
http://audio-forum.gspaudio.co.uk/reflex-c_topic2134_post23712.html#23712
The loan programme is a great aid when it comes to making a choice, even if te results tend to be spending more than you anticipated!!

Edited by BackinBlack - 13 Jan 2014 at 10:58am
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
mandarintje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandarintje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 11:41am
Thanks Ian
I've just read that thread...interesting.
Hmmm...where bass is concerned, it's very punctuated and assertive. Example: I know there is a loose screw in the curtain rail somewhere =P need to take it off to shut it up.

Is it possible to loan the Fanfare 3? (god, it's beautiful)
I'm itching to try now!  

morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by mandarintje mandarintje wrote:

Thanks Bob!
I think my plan is to stick with MC unless there are any benefits of a MM?
I think the choice of MM or MC comes down to personal preferences and cost. Cheaper MCs can be matched by pricier MMs, but generalising greatly, MCs can sound leaner and more detailed than MMs which often sound quite "warm". But there will be loads of exceptions, so sticking with what you know (and like) can be no bad thing!
Sinatra Live at the Sands comes to mind! on 180g =) you can hear the chinking of the food cart as it goes by =) (and my favourite: 'Smadda wid yo! doyn ye wanna loyn nuthin? " 
LOL
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 9:17pm
Thanks for joining our community Darren.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
  Share Topic