FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New guy on the block.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
steve-z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve-z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 11:06am
On the subject of low capacitance cables, one of the guys on the AVI forum recommended Klotz AC100 cable as being a good one to try as it is very low capacitance and quite inexpensive so I have ordered some on the net so I can make up a couple of leads and give it a try.

Edited by steve-z - 03 Nov 2013 at 11:07am
Steve
steve-z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve-z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 12:27am
Just an update from my last post about cables, the Klotz AC110 cable I ordered arrived today so I managed to make up a pair of interconnects this lunchtime. Had a full evenings listening and I have to say the result is a definite improvement at the treble end and no adverse effects anywhere else in the frequency range, so well worth it for an outlay of about a tenner. Hearing the improvement I've ordered another set of phonos and I intend to make up another pair of leads to connect TT to preamp and see if any more improvement can be gleaned there.
Steve
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 1:02am
Topic moved here to provide space in admin section
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
steve-z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve-z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2013 at 7:24pm
Have now had the GA2 for 2 weeks and as promised it has gelled into the excellent performer that I really craved for. The performance I am now getting from my vinyl front end is the most immersive musical experience I've ever had from the medium, even albums I've owned for over 30 years sound better than they ever have. The tonal balance is smoother at the top end than the CA640p but has better detail retrieval and best of all the difference in soundstage is massive. The treble level did improve slightly with the low capacitance Klotz AC110 cable, now the overall SQ is now extremely good and will no doubt make the most of any future cartridge upgrades. Very worthwhile upgrade.
Steve
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2013 at 8:58pm
Good news Steve! It's great the GA2 is giving you what you've been missing in the past. I'm forever digging out records that haven't been played for years and marvelling at the quality I never knew existed. It's what makes using Graham's kit so enjoyable ...
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
steve-z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve-z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 1:22pm
One month on with the GA2 Communicator and I'm well and truly smitten. Just over the last week or so I have observed what seems to be a lowering of the noise floor when listening to vinyl, I'm wondering if this is the final stage in the burn in process of the GA2 or could it be something else ? Perhaps the contact surfaces of my 2M Red stylus have become "polished" with use, any thoughts on this ?
Steve
steve-z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve-z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 4:54pm
Hi all, it's been a while since my last post but hopefully this may be of interest to you vinyl lovers. As I said in my previous posts I had been very satisfied with the improved SQ I had from the addition of the Gram Amp 2. Having said that I believed there was still room for improvement, believing the weak link to be the 2M Red cartridge. I'd considered getting an Acryl-it platter for the Debut Carbon so I could use a Moving Coil cartridge, but the cost inclusive of a new cartridge was prohibitive. After much thought I decided to sell the Debut Carbon and replace it with the ProJect Genie RPM1.3 which I almost bought last year prior to getting the Carbon, the benefit being the non metallic platter and the arm having height adjustment which the Carbon arm lacked, buying new also meant I could sell the std fit 2M Red as new and unused to partially fund my intended cartridge the Denon DL110 high output moving coil. As I had a bit of a wait after ordering the DL110 I auditioned the Genie with the 2M Red for a few days, SQ was similar but with the Genie having a more taut and articulate bass. After a few days the DL110 arrived and was duly fitted. Reviews of the DL110 I'd read online suggested a fair bit of break in was required and this has proved to be the case. Initially is sounded a little bland and flat but after about 10 hrs or so it had improved noticeably and from then up to about 40 hrs it just got better and better. The combination of Genie/DL110/GramAmp 2 seems to be a match made in heaven and outclasses the old combo in pretty well every area, the cartridge proving to be a real star giving a panoramic soundstage with superb detail retrieval and top notch refinement levels as well as an inky black noise floor, mainly I think due to the superior quality diamond which has almost completely banished surface noise. It's been a case of listening to records I've not played in a while putting a big grin on my face because they sound better than they ever had before, whoever said vinyl is dead aught to have a listen to this, vinyl dead, never!!
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic