FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Voyager Headphone Amp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Phil Bishop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2008 at 3:35pm
...oh, and the other thing I meant to say. Too much emphasis on lossless I think. Even over a good system like this, I can really tell no difference between lossless formats and Apples AAC, which takes up 10 times less memory!

Can anyone tell the difference - I challenge you!

Phil
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2008 at 9:28pm
Phil, you have made a good point. Most can not tell the difference between 224 AAC and apple lossless. I choose to load up my 160 Gb Classic w/ apple lossless mostly out of convinience. Although I can not fit my entire library, so I am looking for a 240 Gb dual platter 1.8" HD.

What I really need is more like a 750 Gb!
Miguel
steveh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steveh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2008 at 7:17pm

Got my amp about two months ago direct from the makers, and am well pleased with it. got the ipod adaptor cable from amazon and run the amp into sennheiser cx450 headphones as most of my use is on trains and planes, so have the noise cx function on quite a bit. the only thing i would ask to be changed is the battery cover - very difficult to remove but with an ultimate type battery (the longer lasting alkline types) i'm getting 60 hrs or more so not removing the cover too often.  also use the amp with my old g-mini mp3 player for audio books and its suprising how much difference the amp makes, a lower volume on the player and less distortion.

for those looking for a pouch i found that a few of the camera pouchs sold in currys and dixons fit very well, i have one that takes both the amp and my ipod classic quite well (swordfish is the brand name, not sure of the model.)
Chivas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chivas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 10:18am
Has anyone tried the Voyager with the Bose Quietcomfort headphones? I travel a lot for business and am considering getting these phones. I believe they have their own internal amplification circuit along with the noise cancelling and when I tried these very quickly at the airport earlier this week, it sounded like it also has a bit of a bass boost. Not sure how well this will mate with the Voyager?

Can anyone recommend any other noise isolating or active noise filtering headphones?

Chivas
Daveevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 8:04pm
Got my Voyager today! First GS product. Burning it in right now. First impressions very good. Replacing a C&C Box V2 (now obsolete I believe). Using it with Senn HD650, plus Shure SE530 and Etymotic HF2 for traveling. 
Daveevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2009 at 12:11pm
Chivas, I also own Bose QC3. I even tried out with my new Voyager for your benefit! Their natural bass enhancement becomes more pronounced but overall the excellence of the amp just shows how awful the QC3s are as music reproducers. I'm afraid I think they're horrible and a complete waste of money. Why? The isolation is poor on most aircraft, plus the louder the environment the more the electronics have to work and the worse the sound. IEMs are a much better solution, the Shure and Etymotic 'phones I mention above work well in noisy environments.

The only saving grace for the Bose 'phones is that they hold their value well. When I get around to selling them on eBay I'll recover the cost of my Voyager!
Chivas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chivas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2009 at 1:19pm
Hi Daveeo

Thanks for trying these out for me. In the end I did not go for the Bose for the same reasons that you mentioned, but decided on the Sennheiser PXC450 and am quite happy with them. I think they work well and when using the noise cancelling functionality, you don't lose too much of the natural sound with sound enhancing tricks as you do with the Bose. I also like the fact that the noise cancellation can be bypassed if not needed and listened to in normal mode, without using batteries, unlike the Bose. I also think that the noise cancelling as well as the noise isolation are better and to a certain degree I am actually able to enjoy music on the London Underground (Metro) which is quite a feat! Am driving them from my iPhone at the moment and wondering if it will be worth spending the £200 on the Voyager. My question really is, how much can you improve the sound in environments like aeroplanes and trains? The other problem is when in noise cancellation mode, the input impedance of the Senns is 750 ohms and not sure if the Voyager will cope with this?

Let me know your experiences with the Voyager.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic