FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Revelation M

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 1:23pm

I've had my Revelation for long enough now for it to thoroughly settle in along with its new cabling etc. but have only just got around to trying its capabilities.

I have replaced the Tecnoarm on my "Once upon a P2" with a very adjustable vintage damped unipivot with removeable headshells and having got the hang of setting that up, I thought time to try some records that have been waiting for a Revelation.

Some time ago I scored a set of recordings in mint condition, mono, pressed perhaps in the late 40's or early 50's, of performances of Beethoven by the BBCSO conducted by Arturo Toscanini, originally recorded in 1937-39, reputedly very fine performances, but ones that, even with a mono cartridge did not sound "right".

Tonight, between playing with the settings on the Revelation and cartridge loads on the Exp they have been brought to life and I could focus on the performances rather than the sound.

Wonderful stuff, worth every penny to be able to release the glory of these recordings and historic performances on nearly their 75th anniversary.

I have lots more older recordings that I am sure will benefit when I find the right settings for them.

A Revelation indeed.

Jon, some indeed do recommend trick wiring of stereo cartridges as a method.

I have not tried this, preferring to try "true" mono generator cartridges, the not too expensive AT Mono3-LP was the first I used.

The Denon DL-102 is another that is inexpensive (in the scheme of things) but rather heavy @ nearly 14gm IIRC and having only 2 pins may not work with all cartridge tags.

Tony G
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 9:28pm
Sorry Tony for not picking up your post before, I've been away for several days. My Revelation M isn't getting the use I expected as I am getting some music late at night and in the morning whilst having a coffee before going to work. It needs some evenings and weekends at home whilst I go through the older vinyl in my collection. You've reminded me why I brought the EXP and Rev M, thank you.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 9:48pm
Things are settling down a bit and I am finding our more about non-RIAA curves. I have second hand classical LP's from the 50's and 60's, and the change from -13.7dB to -11dB at 10kHz makes some more 'present' and engaging to listen to. It also brings the noise floor up a little but less than I expected from the EQ, which is a compliment to the cartridge and the GSP preamps I am using.

As I have read around the Internet's pre and non-RIAA stuff, it strikes me that there are contradictory views on when and where RIAA was adopted. "Everything after 1955 is RIAA" has a simplicity but I have classical records that sound slightly better when I try different settings.

The revelation gives a great number of low and high frequency options. I am curious to know how to emulate the Teldec and eRIAA responses if I can.

Revelation M RIAA/78/multi-EQ Phono Stage
It is a fine piece of hi-fi and I am really enjoying modern RIAA LP's.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 12:33am
With some more reading I am now thinking Teldec is close to the Revelation's "Decca" setting i.e. 500Hz and -11dB, and enhanced RIAA is only different to RIAA between 20k and 50kHz. I'll spare you the details.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 06 Dec 2013 at 12:34am
Jon

Bi-wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi-wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Things are settling down a bit and I am finding our more about non-RIAA curves. I have second hand classical LP's from the 50's and 60's, and the change from -13.7dB to -11dB at 10kHz makes some more 'present' and engaging to listen to. It also brings the noise floor up a little but less than I expected from the EQ, which is a compliment to the cartridge and the GSP preamps I am using.

As I have read around the Internet's pre and non-RIAA stuff, it strikes me that there are contradictory views on when and where RIAA was adopted. "Everything after 1955 is RIAA" has a simplicity but I have classical records that sound slightly better when I try different settings.

The revelation gives a great number of low and high frequency options. I am curious to know how to emulate the Teldec and eRIAA responses if I can.

Revelation M RIAA/78/multi-EQ Phono Stage
It is a fine piece of hi-fi and I am really enjoying modern RIAA LP's.

Jon, I particularly agree with your second paragraph. When I started with my Revelation I assumed that everything post-58-ish would use RIAA apart from those that explicitly stated otherwise (eg some DECCA) and that would be it. However, my experience is that some recordings from the late-50s and early-60s (and not just classical) sound 'better' (ie more agreeable, less harsh, more rounded/substantial) on the -11dB setting. I know that there's a degree of subjectivity in this but it's great that the Revelation allows one to experiment.

By the way, do you keep track of the settings to use for non-RIAA records? I tend to note the settings on the corner of the sleeve inner, alongside the spot that shows I've cleaned the disc.
Peter

Satisfied user of: Revelation M, PSU1-Enigma, Solo SRGII and lots of CuSat50
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 4:09pm
In retrospect I wish I'd have gotten the Revelation M instead of the Reflex. Not that I ever play anything older than the mid 50's but rather as a lot of substandard pressings could be improved upon by some EQ tweaking. And since a phono stage is already an equaliser, better to keep all equalisation at that stage. And also, as I wrote in a previous post, toggle switches are cool!
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan
Bi-wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi-wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 4:19pm
Yes, Johan, toggle switches are indeed cool Cool 
Peter

Satisfied user of: Revelation M, PSU1-Enigma, Solo SRGII and lots of CuSat50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic