FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

A trip to the darkside

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 11:56am
With the Zyx and Elevator now with many hours on them one of the really nice things about the sound is the way it gives instruments more of their own character by defining detail and separation better. Things like soft cymbal patterns emerge from a general wash of sound with each hit showing variation in dynamics and timbre. The distinction between the leading edges and the sustain part of notes is now more apparent, and the ease of following instrumental lines at lower levels in the mix is greatly enhanced.

All of which draws you more and more into the music. So it's many, many thanks to both Hisayoshi Nakatsuka and Graham for their super designs ! Thumbs Up
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 9:18pm
Well some years later this thread comes back to life. I put my Zyx R100L back onto my SME series IV arm and it is still sounding good. No distortion and good punchy sound with the instrument separation Bob wrote about above. I believe the R100L had had about 3 years heavy use (I estimate 500-600 hours) before I fitted the Phoenix so has a little more life on my clean records.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 10:05am
A 'thread from the dead' LOL

The Zyx R100 is a very dull looking cartridge, sounding just the opposite. Wink
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 8:55pm
Yes it's back from the 'dark side' and the R100's quality was revealed right at the end of the Accession MC loan. Properly burned in now it's on the way to the next person now sadly for me.

Franky I was amazed at the sound of the MC carts (Phoenix, DL103, and R100) I tried through the Accession MC, they all sounded different but the best I've ever heard them or rather the music! It is a quite brilliant phono stage IMO, overcoming the challenges of the low MC signal level, all the RFI noise pollution, and the frequency response of a magnetic cartridge playing an RIAA (or two other settings) record to bring the music to life. Congratulations to Hifi Components.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 8:46am
Loan Accession MC received yesterday - thanks Jon, now plumbed in & warming up.
Initial impressions from cold with Ortofon Cadenza Blue very positive. Looking forward
listening with it in the next couple of weeks.Smile
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 9:08am
I'm sure everyone is looking forward to hearing your comments on the AccMC, Rich. I have to echo Jon's view that it's breathed even more life into the MCs I've tried and lifted performance above even the AccMM+EXP - which in itself I find rather amazing!
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 10:17am
Thanks Bob. I'd definitely never make it as a hifi scribe, but I'll be happy to post up some comments.Smile
The Elevator EXP/Accession MM combo is superb & will take some beating.
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic