FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

A trip to the darkside

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 11:02am
Thanks for your comments Jon and Tony ...

I had seen that VE tool, but have no idea how I'd find out the effective mass of the Sony arm given it's an integral part of the deck. But in reality, everything sounds great so it's pretty academic what the resonance is ...
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 11:33am

Demonstrated good sound trumps theory at my place.

Tony G
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 11:44am
Hi Tony, I've still got the modified P3-24 with the RB301 arm. You are right that the OL Zephyr arm is on my SL1210 mark 2, and the Zyx is on this arm. I haven't tried it on the Rega but I suspect it would sound quite different.

On the SL1210/Zephyr deck, the Zyx R100-02 seems to handle the middle and treble well with plenty of detail but is not shrill. The hi-hats and cymbals sound good, not splashy white noise, and violins sound right and not 'scrapey.'

Bob, I think the Sony arm's specs will be available somewhere on the Internet. You could look up the model name and number in the VE tonearms library to get your arm's effective mass.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 11:45am
Originally posted by tg tg wrote:

Demonstrated good sound trumps theory at my place.

At mine too.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 11:24am
Bob have you tried the Zyx with any worn LPs at all (assuming you have any)?
I've found the Music maker - superb as it is - reveals groove damage on many older
or second hand records whereas an Ortofon Cadenza Blue plays these same records cleanly.
Presumably the Ortofon's stylus is sitting deeper in the groove where they are undamaged
but not sure if this is down to stylus shape, vtf (higher with the Orto), other factors or a combination of a few!
Thanks.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 1:41pm
Hi Rich.

Er, yes, I do have quite a few worn LPs Embarrassed. Beatles Parlophone issues from 1964 spring to mind - played initially on my folks' Radiogram record changer (eeek! Shocked).

I must admit though I've avoided worn records so far with the Zyx. Interesting you have an Ortofon Cadenza. A few days ago I picked up a very lightly used Ortofon Vivo Red, which is currently finishing being run in (only had about 5 hours on it), and which I felt was better for daily background use while I'm working. Though TBH it is of course much too good just to be used for that! 

[In reality I was being very lazy in just wanting to swap headshells with another MC rather than swap for a MM and have to take the Elevator out of the circuit each time . . and I now have another MC to compare with the Zyx.]

BUT I was thinking that the Vivo and Cadenza may share similar characteristics and thus may help me answer your question better. A first impression though was that the Zyx minimised surface ticks and pops better than the Vivo, the Zyx at 2gm, the Vivo at 1.8gm. The Zyx has an especially small micro-ridge type stylus and would thus (?) sit lower in the groove than the Vivo as you conclude with your comparison. Before I come to remount the Zyx I'll dig out a couple of worn discs and listen with both carts.

Maybe Jon will comment on how he finds the Zyx compared to his Denon?
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 3:55pm
Your findings will be interesting - thanks Bob.
I was given my Dad's unwanted classical LPs & well remember the old Music centre
they were played on. Not sure if the stylus was ever changed on its ceramic cartridge!
Some superb Deccas & EMIs amongst them & the Cadenza plays most of these very well.
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic