FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Replacement HD650 cable

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
gbr2004uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbr2004uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 9:03am
Thanks Bob.  As soon as the new cable arrives I'll try just that.   At the moment, all I've got as standby are Sennheiser HDR120, wireless on a battery-recharge support stand.  I think the signal is equivalent to FM radio, ie very much non hi-fi (I guess).   But it's OK for casual listening, esp. non music.

Couple of impractical points about the HDR120 -- it's supposed to be good for listening while doing anything about house or garden, but it too easily falls off the head!   If you bend the neck to look down, the phones slip off!   Don't know why Sennheiser didn't arrange something with a firmer hold .

Second point which may be intrinsic to the concept -- if you forget to switch them off after the sound signal has stopped, eg end of a broadcast, after about a minute you get a blast of white noise (or maybe it's pink) in your ears!

They seemed a good buy at the time, and the fact that there are no wires is in many circumstances a bonus, but if I was going to get wireless phones again, I'd look at something else.

cheers
Brian
gbr2004uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbr2004uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 9:37am
Update on rough-n-ready test.  Naxos Music Library, Sennheiser HDR 120 wireless with and without interposition of Voyager.

I thought Mahler 5th, 2nd mvt would be a good test.  By itself the HDR120 gives a very poor and hopelessly thin account of this "Mit grosster Vehemenz" whirlwind.   Even with the several seconds' it takes to disconnect / reconnect with the Voyager, there's no mistaking the huge improvement, especially with the Voyager switched to Contour.   It's still very much better with Flat, but with Contour it's certainly listenable-to, which is something I couldn't say for these phones without the augmentation of Voyager.  (I bet with the  Bitzie it would be even better, from what I've read.)

Actually re the Foobar2000, don't know what I was thinking of -- this can only be used with existing files, ripped CDs etc, not with streaming sound.  Yes?   That's not its 'thing'.

all best
Brian
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 11:19am

Do not know about Naxos Music Library, but Foobar can play streaming content, I have used it with a local independent music station, the L*nn streaming service and one or two others at different times.

Edited by tg - 06 Mar 2017 at 12:22pm
Tony G
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 1:04pm
Hi Brian,
Regarding your HD650 replacement cable - I think you have probably done the right thing by
buying a direct replacement rather than an 'upgrade' cable.
I owned HD650s until recently & bought a StefanAudioArt replacement cable & quite honestly
found little difference.
I can't comment on the Cardas though.

I never really got on with the 650s - especially the bass & replaced them recently with 700s.
Many people like HD650s so it's just down to personal preference.

Cheers

gbr2004uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbr2004uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 1:21pm
Even if I didn't like it, I can't afford to buy another one!  But I get on with it OK.  Thanks for commenting, and I'm pleased to read what you say about the cable.   In an idea world, I probably wouldn't use headphones at all, I'd have a sound-proofed room with the best speakers (probably a whole stack of them) that I could afford.

As with life itself and how we live it, we have to do the best we can with what we've got -- we can't do more and we mustn't do less.  Smile   The cable arrived this morning, but before I use it I'm waiting for the replacement earpads to arrive.

By the way, can one just push and shove these things into the cans?   The HD650 is a devil to work with, I'll say that.  Even with pliers it was tough work getting the old cable out -- and experimental attempts so far to push the old earpads back into place aren't encouraging.

I suppose courage and brute force are the only answer, but what a poor show!

Ah well <wry sigh>
Brian
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2013 at 3:30pm
Brian, here is one man's comparison between the HD600 and HD650. Thumbs Up

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/very-important-sennheiser-hd-580-hd-600-and-hd-650-page-3
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
gbr2004uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbr2004uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2013 at 5:43pm
Thanks N_E.   I'm not at this moment sure that I necessarily want to read it, tho' I might when I think about it.  I've got the 650 now, better/worse/good/bad/middling and I'm not going to get a 600.

So I'll take note of the link and save it up.

cheers
B
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic