FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Replacement HD650 cable

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
gbr2004uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbr2004uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement HD650 cable
    Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 5:44pm
I wanted to start a new sub-topic but can't see how to do that, so I'm continuing.

Sod's law!  One of the cables on my HD650 which I've wanted to replace for years with something better than the original suddenly went, sort of "nibbled through" (so to speak) near where it connects to the phone making continuous playback impossible!   Just when I'd configured dBpoweramp and ripped a CD -- was playing it back with Foobar when ... etc ... I thought it was the software.

First question, thanks in advance for answers:   Can you recommend a good cable that will fit?   I see Amazon (UK) are doing "ZY HIFI Cable Sennheiser HD650 HD600 HD580 HD525 HD565 Headphone Upgrade HIFI" Quote: "Material: single crystal four-core twisted-pair copper (6N)
Plug:Y plug - domestic productionof gold-plated products Shao mold; 6.35 stereo plug - imported newNeutrik (if custom-made 3.5 stereo plug for Canare F-12)
Features: high resolving power, smooth sound transparent, clearand full of layered detail; IF moist,magnetic voice; full of powerful low frequency.  Length: 2.5M"  for GBP <37 (about <50USD)

But (ouch!) there's a Cardas cable for 160GBP (>250USD) No way!   Especially if I'm going to get the Bitzie.   There must be something ...

So very grateful if you can recommend something.   The price of the first one I mentioned is +/- where I'm thinking of.

I have a stand-by Sennheiser HDR 120 wireless headphone which is nowhere near as good as the 650, so it's probably the end of my research until the middle of next week, before I can get a replacement for the cable.

I do have another question but it's a separate topic about the dBpoweramp configuration, so I'll post that later.

Meanwhile thanks again for any help.   (Just realised I didn't check to see if you actually do them, cables I mean.  Must do so.)
Brian
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by gbr2004uk gbr2004uk wrote:

I wanted to start a new sub-topic but can't see how to do that, so I'm continuing.
Brian

I've moved this to a new sub-topic as you suggested.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
gbr2004uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbr2004uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 9:14pm
Thanks Jon.

B.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 5:12pm
I don't want to sound harsh here but I don't want to lie either... Confused If you wish to use a headphone that is as coloured as the HD650 then just buy a replacement Sennheiser HD650 (or 600) cable and be done with it, instead of buying into stuff like a Cardas cable. In other words, save your money. No aftermarket cable is going to change the fact that the HD650 has a coloured presentation. Cables only offer fine-tuning of the transducer's basic frequency characteristics, it's not a coarse adjustment for headphone behaviour. HD650 is not high fidelity, despite being marketed as such.

However, this is just my opinion and you are free to ignore it. Thumbs Up
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
gbr2004uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbr2004uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 5:39pm
Why would I want to ignore anyone who has taken the time and trouble to reply to a question I've asked, especially on an expert forum such as this one?  Wink   I appreciate your frankness.   Indeed last night (UK time) I did buy a replacement Sennheiser cable from an audio online store in the UK for just under 25 GBP -- largely because I didn't want to wait for the one I mentioned earlier (not the Cardas) to come from China, and in any case I didn't like the look of its construction.

So for better or worse I've got a cable coming.

By the way, why do Sennheiser not give proper instructions as to how to remove the ear pads?   I did get them off (I'm getting new ones) but only after I took courage in both hands, literally, and tugged hard.  There's a lot of stuff from bewildered owners on the web about this.

And I found, as did others who have also written about it on the web, it was a real devil of a job to get the cable attachments out of the actual cans themselves.   Goodness knows why they have to be so fastened almost as if glued in.   Had to carefully use a pliers to get them out.

I shall have to look up the term "coloured presentation", just as I've had to look up so much other jargon this past week.

It's the first time I've heard the HD650 described as not high fidelity, and I'm in no position to contradict you, but I should be most interested to hear if the other experts here concur or otherwise.

To feel justified in accepting or ignoring anyone's opinion, I have to have either objective factual evidence, or maybe know something about their affiliations, qualifications, expertise and so on.  Although the former always tends to be a better guide than the latter!

300 GBP+/- would be an awful lot of money to splash out on something that wasn't hi-fi to at least some considerable degree.  I bought it originally not long after they came out at the same time I got my Clavinova, and on the recommendation of the shop we still had locally before sadly and shamefully it closed the branch -- Chappell, the famous music place based in Bond St London.

Thanks to anyone else who may feel moved to add a bit more on the Sennheiser HD650.

all best
Brian

Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 6:03pm
I researched the HD600 and HD650 almost obsessively last year when I was choosing between them just based on online reviews. I bought the HD600 eventually after much much consideration, procrastination and postulating, as everywhere I went, reviewers described the HD600 as more neutral and less coloured. By "coloured", I mean that particular sound frequencies are not represented at the same dB levels as they were when they were recorded. They can be higher or lower in volume compared to the other frequencies. This causes many problems such as altered instrument tonality and reduced spatial perception of the audio.

As for the term "hi-fi"... It's supposed to mean "high fidelity" (as in, true to life accuracy) but now it's just another term manufacturers use to exploit the trust of the uninformed layman. There are many people who do not know the true meaning of high fidelity reproduction... Many manufacturers aren't helping consumers to reach hi-fi reproduction; they're merely keeping them from it! The illusions lead people in the wrong direction. As Graham Slee has suggested, it's just a secret "let's get rich out of this" business and naive consumers will continue to fall victim to it and lose themselves down silly paths. It's a shame...

Edited by Nuance_Ember - 15 Sep 2013 at 6:05pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
gbr2004uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbr2004uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 6:58pm
Thanks Nuance-Ember.   Looked at some glossaries -- "Coloration - any change in the character of sound that reduces naturalness, such as an overemphasis of certain tones.
Coloration: Listening term. A visual analog. A "colored" sound characteristic adds something not in the original sound. The coloration may be euphonically pleasant, but it is not as accurate as the original signal."

I do wonder often how much I'd notice subtle differences when lost in the music.   My listening conditions are less than ideal, tho' I suppose that's true for many people.

I was reading earlier today that 'high fidelity' doesn't necessarily always mean the most pleasant or most musical sound or experience.   I was looking at some Amazon customers' comments and was amused to see this one (quoting from memory).   "I listen to the music through my equipment, I don't listen to my equipment through the music".  Maybe a rather cynical take!
all best
Brian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic