FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What prompted you to buy a GSP product?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Poll Question: Did you buy GSP after:
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
65 [31.10%]
13 [6.22%]
4 [1.91%]
14 [6.70%]
113 [54.07%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 7:25pm
After obsessively researching the HD600 and HD650 last year, I encountered the Solo headphone amplifier being sold as a bundle with the HD650 on Ebay. So I searched for Graham Slee, found the site, did some reading then sent an email to GSPAudio about whether the ULDE would get the most out of the HD600 I had bought. Graham swiftly got back to me with a very comprehensive, honest and lengthy reply and gave a passing mention of his thoughts on the HD600, saying that his "preference was for the HD250" Shocked. I was curious about this statement so I decided to hunt down a HD250, especially when he said that the HD250 and HD800 were "very close"! When I finally did get one in my hands, I first felt that the HD250 and HD600 were both great (roughly equivalent). But after using the HD250 for a while and buying new earpads, I discovered that the HD250 was indeed superior. With this realisation, I knew that Graham must be the "real deal" that I had been searching for. And now... he is stuck with me... Embarrassed

Poor sod... LOL

Edited by Nuance_Ember - 29 Aug 2013 at 7:42pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 8:31pm
Several years ago I wanted to have a louder headphone option for late night listening and did some research where I saw a What Hi-Fi review of the Novo headphone amp and found there was a DAK version I could build. One of my best purchases and an easy build which opened my ears to high quality music. It was the start of the GSP experience for me. Next I bought the first DAK Genera kit... if you've read my posts you know the rest.

At the risk of being crude GSP is 0% of the B/S and 100% of the music.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

He obtained a trial sample (in a deeper plastic case I recall, not as shown on the current GSP website) but gave no advice about burn-in etc. I had it for 4 or 5 days.

The dealer should never have been sent a 9 year old version of the product and the distributor responsible no longer distributes our products in the UK (this was not the first problem of this kind  we had).

Edited by Graham Slee - 30 Aug 2013 at 8:18am
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fredric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fredric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 9:53pm
I was constantly researching online for my best options after getting a good deal on a pair of Denon 7100. At the end, the mix of positive reviews (cant remember were anymore) and the personal presence of the founder himself, Graham, was what swayed me into getting a Slee headphone amp. I had never heard of GS audio before starting my headphone amp research (I reside in Norway).

I had already decided on buying it when I was confronted with getting a free trial (the loan program on the forums here), so I went for the free trial first. At the end I was honoured with having the option of donating the cost of the amp to a charitable organisation. So all in all one of the best shopping experiences I have ever had.

You should add "Eccentric owner" to the poll options :P or at least something like "Supporting personal handcraft/produce". If this was "Insert big brand here" and "made by low payed human robots in" "insert poor country here" I would probably never had bought this, even though price and product would have been the same. (I'm not saying the product is not worth the money, because the product (Solo UL) is probably best in class)

Edited by Fredric - 29 Aug 2013 at 10:10pm
hotmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 10:04pm
I had a pair of HD650s that I'd bought secondhand on eBay. They were powered from the headphone socket of my Arcam Alpha 9 amp. However I wasn't happy with the sound quality, which was lacking detail and bass depth. Based on the HD650's reviews, I thought they must be capable of more, so I started looking at alternative cables as a way to achieve this. At the time I never knew that such things as dedicated headphone amps even existed, and naively thought that a cable upgrade was the only option available.

However my Google searches soon educated me otherwise and led me inexorably to Graham Slee's excellent website. Soon after, I found a Solo + PSU1 for a bargain price on Gumtree, and had it upgraded it to a U/L within a month. I also got a Voyager for my travels, and through this forum discovered the superb HD250 which now accompanies it wherever I go.

Google is your friend, Graham! Thumbs Up
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 11:00am
Got my Gram Amp 2se after lots of lots of research (almost bought a German one) on the internet. Can't remember where I came across Slee but did find a couple of reviews that pointed to a sound more preferable to my previous first choice.

I them came across Graham's Green Solo pilot scheme and not being sure about cans i thought this was worth a punt. It was and I a have upgraded to a ULDE this year.

Through the green solo program I came across the green Reflex scheme and the thought of a cheaper intro to the higher end was something I was definitely interested in. Again I have upgraded to ULDE.

The only issue I had with those early Greens was the early smps (no chirping now) so those have been banished with the arrival of two PSU1's.

Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 10:51pm
Remembered now I first came across the name Slee in a 3 way review of phono stages, just can't remember we which magazine.

Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
  Share Topic