FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What prompted you to buy a GSP product?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
Poll Question: Did you buy GSP after:
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
65 [31.10%]
13 [6.22%]
4 [1.91%]
14 [6.70%]
113 [54.07%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
lwdykes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lwdykes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by miT miT wrote:

It was quite a while ago but having been a headphone user for quite a while through my teens, I was looking at upgrading to a grown up system. Being on a modest income, the increased value of a headphone system appealed and this led to me discovering headphone amps, etc.

After a surprisingly good review in What HiFi, I discovered Graham Slee Projects / GSP Audio as it then was and invested in a Novo. This forum has been an instrumental part of my maturing over the years and ultimately led me to understand why the world of reviews are such a farce. Funny that the very magazine that got me here was left behind many years ago!!

I am a dedicated fan because as mentioned in other posts, Graham's honesty and openness about his designs gives me no reason to search elsewhere. I completely trust what he designs and see no reason to believe I know better; that simply would not be true.

I too first experienced headphones in my teens; grew up listening to great psychedelic progressive music such as Pink Floyd, King Crimson, etc.

Over the past few years I started collecting vinyl again (like many of us) and upgrading my electronics. It was my wife who purchased a nice set of headphones for me (maybe too loud for her late at night! LOL) as I had hinted I wanted a pair. I already had a decent phono stage, but was not even aware of headphone amps until I discovered Graham Slee products through my internet research.  Thanks to BAK and the GS loaner program (great program!), I was able to try out some equipment. What a huge difference in my headphone experience!! The dynamics, separation, clarity of bass (no longer washed out and muddy) is amazing!

I immediately ordered the GS Solo Ultra-Linear Headphone Amp, which I enjoy frequently. Next on my list is the Accession preamp to upgrade my current phono stage. I have a lot of 1960s mono stuff (Beatles, Stones, etc), so plan to order mine with mono switch.

I am really enjoying my music and GS products!
RZangpo2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RZangpo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 9:40pm
New owner here. I read Michael Fremer's review of the Accession M and thought, This is just what I'm looking for. The higher-end phono stages out there cater mostly to MC. While most claim they can do both, it seemed to me that paying megabucks for a MM/MC phono stage meant a big waste of money, as I would never use the MC section. An excellent MM-only phono stage was just what I needed.

Then I read further reviews of the Accession M. The praise was universal, and the price was right. I took the plunge, thinking I had little to lose. I could always sell the Accession on if I didn't like it.

Well, my new Accession M arrived yesterday. Of course it needs more burn-in, but right out of the box the sound astonished me. Recently I listened to a $300,000 system at a dealer demo. The Accession moved me appreciably closer to the $300k sound. (I know price is no guarantee of quality, but the expensive system did sound good!) That system had a $28,000 phono preamp. You could say that I just saved myself $26,500.

So far the Accession impresses me most with its retrieval of the sort of micro-detail that makes recorded music sound "live." (Fremer said the same thing.) Soundstaging and imaging are superb. I may post a more detailed review after the Accession has had a chance to settle in. But so far I'm loving it!

Edited by RZangpo2 - 19 Feb 2020 at 9:41pm
lwdykes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lwdykes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by RZangpo2 RZangpo2 wrote:

New owner here. I read Michael Fremer's review of the Accession M and thought, This is just what I'm looking for. The higher-end phono stages out there cater mostly to MC. While most claim they can do both, it seemed to me that paying megabucks for a MM/MC phono stage meant a big waste of money, as I would never use the MC section. An excellent MM-only phono stage was just what I needed.

Then I read further reviews of the Accession M. The praise was universal, and the price was right. I took the plunge, thinking I had little to lose. I could always sell the Accession on if I didn't like it.

Well, my new Accession M arrived yesterday. Of course it needs more burn-in, but right out of the box the sound astonished me. Recently I listened to a $300,000 system at a dealer demo. The Accession moved me appreciably closer to the $300k sound. (I know price is no guarantee of quality, but the expensive system did sound good!) That system had a $28,000 phono preamp. You could say that I just saved myself $26,500.

So far the Accession impresses me most with its retrieval of the sort of micro-detail that makes recorded music sound "live." (Fremer said the same thing.) Soundstaging and imaging are superb. I may post a more detailed review after the Accession has had a chance to settle in. But so far I'm loving it!

Thanks for the great review. I am looking at upgrading to the Accession myself. This helps.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 11:21am
Most manufacturers would sell their soul for an endorsement like that. 
Well put.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Robnpg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robnpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 12:39pm
As a noob, I am torn between a dedicated MM stage vs one which handles MM/MC. The GSP line was one highly recommended for this purpose. I can't wait to find out more. 
lwdykes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lwdykes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 1:56pm
I upgraded to the Accession M a couple months ago. I had already installed the GS Solo UL DE Headphone Amp last year (amazing) and knew I wanted to upgrade to GS phono stage as well. I thought about the Reflex, but great reviews like the one above got me looking at the Accession. The Accession M was definitely the right decision for me. It sounds stellar! I'm hearing all kinds of subtle detail I never noticed before in music I have listened to all my life. A few weeks later I also upgraded my speakers to Revel F206 (almost went with the larger F208s) which further enhanced stage presence. These upgrades made a HUGE difference in my sound system. To say I am very pleased with my Accession M would be an understatement. Bruce Kohl & John Cadman were a great help and fantastic to work with. Bruce especially was a wealth of information and very gracious with his time over the phone. I also highly recommend the unique GS loaner program which gives the the opportunity to test GS products with your system and determine which ones are best for you. 
Larry

Marantz SR7013/Rotel RMB1555/Oppo BDP-103/Technics SL-1700 (Ortofon 2M Bronze)/Thorens TD-145 (Shure V15 Type III, Jico)/Accession M/GS Solo UL DE/Revel F206/JL Audio E10 Sub
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by lwdykes lwdykes wrote:

I upgraded to the Accession M a couple months ago...
 Bruce Kohl & John Cadman were a great help and fantastic to work with. Bruce especially was a wealth of information and very gracious with his time over the phone. I also highly recommend the unique GS loaner program which gives the the opportunity to test GS products with your system and determine which ones are best for you. 

Glad to be 
"Here to Help"
Bruce
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
  Share Topic