FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

MM or MC ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
Author
Paul P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MM or MC ?
    Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 4:45pm
Hello I have a Pro-ject Experience 2 Turntable with a Pro-ject Phono Box SE 11 and a Ortofon Blue Cartridge that came with the Deck. I want to upgrade now to either a Reflex C Phono Amp with a Ortofon Rondo Blue MC Cartridge or a Reflex M with a Ortofon 2M Black Cartridge. I'm not sure what to go for .Any help would be appreciated and also other suggestions as well .Thanks.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 12:44am
Hi Paul, I haven't used your particular turntable but have a couple of suggestions. I have heard the Ortofon 2M Black is good, has anyone got either or both of these cartridges please? My experience with the Goldring 1042 and 2500 on a Rega P3-24 was good.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 12:46am
Originally posted by Paul P Paul P wrote:

Hello I have a Pro-ject Experience 2 Turntable with a Pro-ject Phono Box SE 11 and a Ortofon Blue Cartridge that came with the Deck. I want to upgrade now to either a Reflex C Phono Amp with a Ortofon Rondo Blue MC Cartridge or a Reflex M with a Ortofon 2M Black Cartridge. I'm not sure what to go for .Any help would be appreciated and also other suggestions as well .Thanks.

I have an Ortofon 2M Black/Rega RP6 running through a Reflex/PSU1. My tastes are predominantly Rock, Blues, Indie & Folk and I do listen quite loud. I therefore prefer a lively cartridge and if your tastes are more mellow then maybe this is not the best for you.

The 2M Black seems smooth, dynamic, and crisp with a deep, taut bass. I have read that all the 2M’s can be neutral and almost digital sounding and I can see that to a degree – it has a resemblance to high quality CD and FLAC’s but on a back-to-back listen with the same music in either format, it is more natural and smooth sounding, the performance seems considerably more realistic.

I attend a lot of live amplified music & this comes as close as I have heard to that, avoiding distortion or flabby bass which I dislike with a passion. I don’t think the 2M’s are particularly warmly coloured in the traditional vinyl sense, however the Black is certainly not cold or analytical. I have no desire to change.

My ‘spare’ stylus is a 2M Blue and this has a strong family resemblance when fitted on the Black body, certainly a lot closer than the relative prices would suggest. It has a leaner bass, slightly more strident top end and is a little less transparent. Of course, my observations are using the higher quality Black body with the Blue stylus so maybe the difference to an original Blue could be greater.

So, if you like the Blue, I can strongly recommend the Black. It also tracks very well,  just about managing the Hi Fi News test LP ‘nightmare’ track and sails through all the others @ 17.5g downforce.

I have no experience of the Ortofon Rondo Blue MC, however for me there is the MM advantage of stylus replacement when damaged/worn without sending off for repair or buying new. Plus the ability to fit a spare stylus for less critical or background listening which lengthens the life of the main stylus.

Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 12:47am
Thanks Drewan
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
marshmid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marshmid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 1:27pm
Drewan77 said;
"So, if you like the Blue, I can strongly recommend the Black. It also tracks very well, just about managing the Hi Fi News test LP ‘nightmare’ track and sails through all the others @ 17.5g downforce."

I'm sure that tracking force ia a 'typo' and that it should be 1.75g.

Marsh
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by marshmid marshmid wrote:

Drewan77 said;
"So, if you like the Blue, I can strongly recommend the Black. It also tracks very well, just about managing the Hi Fi News test LP ‘nightmare’ track and sails through all the others @ 17.5g downforce."

I'm sure that tracking force ia a 'typo' and that it should be 1.75g.

Marsh

Oops, yes Embarrassed (was wondering why the stylus cut my vinyl into black apple peel !)
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
jrhughes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrhughes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 3:54pm
Hi Drewan,

That's quite a bit more than the recommended "optimum" 1.5g and beyond the recommended max of 1.7. I'm curious, as I have both the Bronze (rec. 1.5g) and Blue (rec. 1.8g), did you reach 1.75g purely because you found that's where it was best behaved, or did you nudge it up a bit so you could swap Black with Blue stylus and not have to keep altering the VTF?

My Bronze is set to 1.6g but I'd be a bit nervous of taking it up to 1.75, although I'd like to swap stylus sometimes without having to adjust VTF, which is a pain. Cheers,

Jason
Jason
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
  Share Topic