FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

The "Green" Reflex MM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2008 at 11:55am
Hi Fritz,

0.025mV per cm/s is only 0.125mV output at the normal max. velocity of modern vinyl which is 5cm/s.

It is a low output moving coil - a very low output moving coil - and makes the electronics job of any phono preamp stage very difficult indeed. Even with the special build "green" Reflex MC, hiss could be a problem on very quiet orchestral passages.

I'd get a 1042, and go for the MM stage.

Or the DL160 tg just mentioned as I was writing my reply, which will also work into the MM "green" Reflex.

Edited by Graham Slee - 20 Jan 2008 at 11:57am
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2008 at 11:50am

Fritz,
Your Ortofon is a low output MC.
Many cartridges will have failed supension after some years - maybe ask Ortofon or have a local dealer check it for you.
DL160 is HOMC, lower mass (4.5gm) lower VTF (1.6gm) higher compliance than the Ortofon.
Your Revox does look a bit special if it holds good speed and the arm mechanism still works well.

FritzS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FritzS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2008 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Hi Fritz,
The "green" Reflex phono preamp (and also the existing PSU1 powered Reflex) does both moving magnet cartridges as well as high output moving coils (HOMC).

What costs this ***Graham's Bargain Bucket*** "green" Reflex phono preamp inkl. VAT?
What costs the shipping to Austria. Please anwser here or send me a email.
(Please you should offer your products in EUR too).

technical question about Ortofon MC 10 MK II
.... 100 Ohm ..... 0,024 mVs/cm  ... are this a HI MC?
Are cartridges working good after mare than 20 years (jan. 1984)? Aging of silicone?

This I found from my
MC 10 MK II (Quelle: AUDIO 7/82):
Dynamische Compliance 12,6 mm/N
Weight  / Gewicht: 7 Gramm
Tracking force / Optimale Auflagekraft: 20-26 mN.
Resistance / Widerstand: 100 Ohm
Polish / Schliff: elliptisch 18x8 µm
Transfer factor / Übertragungsfaktor: 0,024 mVs/cm

Edited by FritzS - 20 Jan 2008 at 11:31am
AKG K812, K872, K712, Q701, K701, K501, K550, K271, Denon AH-D 7000
"Green" SOLO (with LME49860NA), WNA MKII
Marantz SA7001 KI, Philips CD650
Revox B790, G1042, Reflex
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2008 at 1:48am
Hi Fritz,

The "green" Reflex phono preamp (and also the existing PSU1 powered Reflex) does both moving magnet cartridges as well as high output moving coils (HOMC).

The input sensitivity range is calculated so that cartridges with outputs falling into it's range will give a good dynamic range. That doesn't preclude the use of lower output cartridges, but means there will be a slight noise penalty. With the 1.5mV Denon cartridge the noise penalty is only 3dB, which you may find perfectly acceptable.

I did use a Goldring 1042 for quite some time. It seems to have a bit of a hump around 2kHz which makes for an excitable sound with some records, but overall it is very easy to live with, and the bass is good too. I think the hump is due to cantilever tuning - moving magnet windings roll-off pretty quickly after the LC hold-up network is passed (the combination of the cartridge inductance, phono preamp input resistance, arm cable capacitance and phono preamp input capacitance), so the cantilever and other mechanical parts are usually tuned to resonate a bit to carry the response beyond 20kHz. The 2kHz hump is possibly an artefact of this tuning.

I must admit I'm no expert in parallel tracking tonearms, so it looks like you having to do some further research here, unless there are some parallel tracker experts here?

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
FritzS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FritzS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008 at 1:44pm
Dear Graham,
provides the "Green" Reflex MM  high output MC?
Or the Deneon DL110 and DL160 HOMC cartridges?

What experience have you from
Goldring G1012 / G1022 / G1042 cartridges?

My Revox B790 needs a higher compliance, but today I use an older (about 15 .. 20 years)
Ortophon MC 10 MKII with additional weight - the Revox arm is very short and lightwight.

PS: I hope now I have all informations about Smile

Edited by FritzS - 18 Jan 2008 at 1:54pm
AKG K812, K872, K712, Q701, K701, K501, K550, K271, Denon AH-D 7000
"Green" SOLO (with LME49860NA), WNA MKII
Marantz SA7001 KI, Philips CD650
Revox B790, G1042, Reflex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic