FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Inner sleeves.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 11:13am

I can suggest a few things that I have tried to help with this problem, anyone who has seen some of my other threads probably realises by now that I am a bit fussy. (records seem to sound better with the anorak hood down though.... Clown)

1. Use the Knosti Disco Anti Stat record cleaning bath (find it on Amazon) on the worst offenders. I only ever need to do this with new record or a RCM cleaned one where static has reappeared. The fluid is quite expensive but it does completely remove the charge. On first play after drying, you find a build up of white fluff on the stylus as it literally lifts all the non-energised dust out of the groove. Clean the stylus with a small brush and then on subsequent plays it is static & dust and free

2. I have mounted an 8mm earthing point on my equipment rack which is grounded to a bare radiator pipe, hence to the water main. When I use a carbon fibre brush before (& after) play, I touch the earthing point with my other hand so there is a path for any static to escape

3. Like Morris Minor, I have a 1970's ZeroStat gun but I have never really been convinced that this does much

4. Buy or build a Vacuum record cleaning machine and cleaning fluid. I have found that a mixture of Isopropanol alcohol, pure white vinegar, surficant and distilled water gives very good results and the addition of the vinegar seemed to help with static. One word of warning though, the rotation of the disk on the final rinse-drying stage can impart static ! (We could have a whole new thread on this, I include steam cleaning as part of the process which looks scary but gives fantastic results...)

5. After cleaning, leave the turntable lid closed during play. I know there are plenty of people who say this can affect the sound, harmonic vibration etc but I believe the benefit of keeping records clean outweighs that. To my ears I can't really hear a difference

6. Use a sticky record roller (I have not tried this)

7. Use a grounded antistatic record cleaning arm. I tried one but found that you can hear a form of music playing at very low level from the surface of the record and this may be picked up by the stylus

Some people even go as far as expensive static demagnetisers used in the packaging industry. That’s a step too far even for someone like me….

Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 1:50pm
I normally find a carbon-fibre brush and a sticky roller are perfectly adequate for me (and the lid down too - though on the Technics parallel trackers they only work closed of course). But in the past I've used an antistatic, grounded arm - how effective it actually was I'm not sure, though I didn't perceive any deterioration of sound quality when it was being used.

Many, many moons ago, on my Garrard SP25 I used a Watts Dust Bug, and the felt roller on this swept up many tons of debris over the years. I even used a foam-like cloth thingy called EMITEX for a bit, though that must have been inducing static while pushing dust further into the grooves. LOL
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 3:03pm

Originally posted by wrote:

I can suggest a few things that I have
tried to help with this problem, anyone who has seen some of my other threads
probably realises by now that I am a bit fussy. (records seem to sound better
with the anorak hood down though.... <span style="mso-no-proof:yes"></span>Clown)</span>

Thanks Andrew.  Like Bob I currently make do with a carbon fibre brush and a sticky roller (Nagaoka), though I do intend, one day, to buy a Brazilian vacuum RCM.  I also use a carbon fibre stylus brush and one of those gel polymer things for dipping the stylus in to.

It's only recently that the static seems to have become so bad.  I don't really hear it once the record has discharged through the stylus, but maybe it would be much more obvious if I weren't using a Slee phono stage.

I've not tried any of your earthing ideas.  Something to try.

How does everyone else use their carbon fibre brushes?  Record on or off the platter, and if on spinning or not?

Edited by ICL1P - 14 Jun 2013 at 7:29pm
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 3:35pm
I use my brush with the record on the platter - spinning by hand if one of the Technics' decks, otherwise have the platter rotating if the Sony. If I think there's a lot of static around I shoot it with the ZeroStat (go through the motions, at least!) before closing the lid. (All my TTs are auto, with me being inherently lazy . . ).
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 3:55pm
When my kids twenty-something buddies hear static, dust or crackling on a record they think it's 'cool'. The Young generation seem to love all this retro stuff with the sound of vinyl - in fact one of them never buys CD, only LP's.

Edited by Drewan77 - 14 Jun 2013 at 3:56pm
Andrew
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 4:22pm
It's a bit like the photo/video effects for "old fashioned" photos or movies that have been in Photoshop or After Effects for years that are now in Instagram for your faded/grainy/dusty/torn-edges look.

I think my wave editor has a plug in to give the "authentic" vinyl effect. I was playing a couple of tracks the other day with vinyl noise added for atmosphere . . . 

Edited by morris_minor - 14 Jun 2013 at 4:23pm
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

I think my wave editor has a plug in to give the "authentic" vinyl effect. I was playing a couple of tracks the other day with vinyl noise added for atmosphere . . . 

Yes Bob.... maybe eating a bowl of Rice Crispies or a bag of crisps would have the same effect whilst listening? Fulfils two pleasures at once Pig
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
  Share Topic