FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Inner sleeves.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 8:02pm
I use a Zero-stat gun immediately after stopping the vacuum/drier on my Okki Nokki and before/after playing a side. It does help, there's much more dust without it.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 2:00pm
I can honestly say that I have never been bothered by static (to the best of my knowledge) other than occasionally when lifting an album after playing a side get some mild static cracking between mat and album.

Have always found sound better with lid up.

Back to the sleeves. I have never used anything other than stock paper, thin cardboard or occasional poly.   

My records have never really come out dirty albeit some light dust from time the time.

Are there any real benefits from a care of vinyl point of view given I am
Lucky not to be afflicted by dust or vinyl?

I have been sonic cleaning my collection over recent months also.

Any thoughts welcome.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 2:03pm
Ps wonder if either certain carpet materials may compound (mine are wool) or the materials on the deck? Other than the knobs I am not aware of any plastic on the deck and acrylic lid.
May was rubber but has been Achromat for a number of years.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 5:26pm
You are fortunate Richard - I need to play with the lid closed because my music room is rather cluttered and a pain to dust effectively. 

The consequence is build up of static during playing, I guess that vinyl rotating in proximity to the acrylic may cause this. It's only alleviated on new LPs by using a cork spotmat or Furutech De-stat device.

In my case, plastic inner sleeves also protect from scratches that could be caused by 'debris' after play (better than card or paper would). 
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 7:01pm
I use Moth antistatic sleeves and have the lid down for the same reasons as Andrew.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 7:04pm
Many thanks.

A little more reading has suggested that materials do (or can) impact on the vinyl itself certain poly bags and paper. There do appear a number of types HDPE appear well regarded. Not sure how true these points are.
Logic suggests a paper sleeve will allow air to circulate through the open edge and round the label in a few cases also.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 8:19pm
Yes I would avoid some of the plastic sleeve covers for that reason. Not diagreeing on your compositional theory about paper inner sleeves being better than plastic, dust could enter through this circulation this way could it not?

Jon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
  Share Topic