FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Analysing hi-res files

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 8:15am
An aside on DIY encoding where we do have a choice.

When ripping vinyl records I use 48kHz or higher sample rate, rather than the 44k1 used on CD's. It will only be as good as the analogue signal that goes into the ADC.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

It will only be as good as the analogue signal that goes into the ADC.
. . which is, of course, why we use Graham's phono amps . . .Big smile
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
marshmid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marshmid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

An aside on DIY encoding where we do have a choice.

When ripping vinyl records I use 48kHz or higher sample rate, rather than the 44k1 used on CD's.

I still plan to convert my vinyl files to 96Khz and 24 bit. These will be the archive quality files. I will then carry out corrections (click-repair for example) on these files before downsampling to say 44KHz 16bit.

My logic is that in photography it is regarded as'best practice' to carry out photo corrections on the raw files. The raw files are unaltered and the corrections are stored as a set of instructions. Files can then be converted to 16bit Tif or 8 bit jpeg files for printing.

I use Vinyl Studio for vinyl capture and one great advantage of that software is that when any modifications are made, the original sample is unaltered and changes as stored as a set of instructions. Final conversion is only made when saving to final output as flac etc.

It seems to me that in the treatment of vinyl conversion, there may be a good comparison with digital photographic files.

Whether I'm right or wrong, I would hate to complete 12 months of vinyl correction onyl to find that I had to repeat the process at a higher resolution.

Marsh
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 6:17pm

Hi Marsh, I use Vinyl Studio and like the way the raw file and edit trail are separated. The album/track info lookup is very helpful too!

Perhaps we had best get back on topic. I have run a couple of my v-rips through Sonic Visualiser and there's plenty of treble. Unfixed clicks are quite visible.

Jon
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic