FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

PS Noise Harvester

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 10:30pm
Me too. Not having the skill or certificate needed I think I might very well consult with an electrician in the near future to see what can be done in this department. I really like the idea of making such an indirect upgrade to one's hifi system. Not tampering with or changing any of the actual gear itself yet hopefully getting a surge in performance.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 10:32pm
It can be assumed that audio circuits require a consistent and noise-free power supply to give the highest level of sonic performance. I assume that the original AC supply first needs one (or more??) transformer steps combined with various types of smoothing capacitors to provide initial coarse voltage regulation??? Then after a full-wave rectification step with one of those 4-diode bridge rectifier circuits to convert to a "semi-circular" pulsed DC signal, I assume you need further smoothing capacitors of various types to filter and regulate the signal further to a relatively flat DC before putting this into a voltage regulator. When I did A-level, the voltage regulators that I used were either three or four pin components in the power transistor styled epoxy package. I remember using large capacitance electrolytic capacitors for the main smoothing whilst using low capacitance ceramic/non-electrolytic capacitors for removing voltage peaks from the signal???? LOL

Edited by Nuance_Ember - 08 May 2013 at 10:32pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by suede suede wrote:

yet hopefully getting a surge in performance.

Let's hope that's the only surge you do get.... Confused LOL
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 10:42pm
Yes Shocked, hence the qualified electrician.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 11:18pm
A good point well made!
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic