FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Voyager Volume Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
KenWilson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KenWilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voyager Volume Problem
    Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 1:12pm

Thanks for getting back to me Graham and for the info on what the problem might be.  The serial number is 0130-697 if that helps. Am I right in assuming that it’s repairable then?  If so is it just a matter of sending it off in the post?  Happy to phone and discuss if necessary.

Thanks, Ken

Main headphone audio setup: -

Sonos fed by ReadyNAS/Apple Lossless
Graham Slee Ultra Linear
Beyerdynamic T1
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 4:08pm
I did reply but it seems it didn't get through. Been busy trying to manage new workshop fitting out - great tradesmen this time around but asking lots more questions than I can answer - hoping to be back to posting soon.

DC offset can cause "pot scratch" but high frequency instability is the usual culprit and is why we fit compensation capacitors. If an older unit it may not have them because the design tested stable, but I'm now doing "belt and bracers" because the airwaves are so over modulated these days. If it does have comp caps one could fail but if on both channels two failed caps are highly unlikely. Is the input cable shielded? If you're unsure give us a call on 01909 568739 (+44 prefix outside UK)
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 1:28pm
Remember that Graham does not build individual electronic components so he is dependent on the components he receives from his suppliers. I personally doubt the build quality has anything to do with it. Perhaps it does but I doubt it. It's probably simply a component failure, which is not GSP's fault as they have no control over the expected lifespan of the electronic components that they use. GSP HQ has plenty of electronic test equipment for identifying a fault on a PCB. It will simply be a sequence of elimination via test apparatus until they isolate the problem. Component replacement will solve the issue, I'm sure. No need to be too concerned and I'd imagine repair costs won't be too bad. Smile
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
JamesD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 12:56pm
Maybe something as simple as a rogue dry joint, I say rogue because of the usual high build quality!
KenWilson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KenWilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 11:58am
Thanks for responding so quickly, much appreciated.  Like you, I'm hopeful that it can be fixed.

Cheers,
Ken
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 11:09am
Ken, I sure hope you get your Voyager fixed soon. It is a very nice sounding amp and it should not be any problem for Graham to correct the situation. Cheers!
Miguel
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 11:58pm
Graham will get back to you soon, because he cares a lot about his customers. Thumbs Up  He's been busy lately with the move of his headquarters so he has not been around here as much as he would like. Sit tight and he'll respond eventually. Smile

Sounds like some sort of component failure/fault perhaps, even if it's just one single component. I'm sure it is straightforward enough to fix, even if it involves one of Graham's guys taking a look at the PCB and replacing an electronic component. Smile
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic