FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

A weekend with the Lautus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
bronzeage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bronzeage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A weekend with the Lautus
    Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 2:22pm
So, following on from my initial impressions in the original Lautus thread, I thought it would help if I expanded a bit on what I was using to test, and the results of comparison to a £100 cable (I won't name it to protect the real friendly chap from the planet Pluto)

My source is a modded Marantz CD-63 SE, into a Rotel 05SE -> TQ Black cable-> Proac Tablette Anniversary speakers + BK Gemini sub.

Also tested using Sony BD-380 playing 320K MP3s via USB

I tested with various tracks, mostly jazz / classical with some general pop/rock thrown in.

My 'test case' was the re-issue of Moanin by Art Blakey - that has some mumbled conversation at the beginning that a lesser cable can't unravel, and some very harsh trumpet that is ear-bleedingly painful if not tamed.

As might be expected, the gap between the Lautus and the other cable closed compared to my sub-£70 cables.  I would say in terms of detail retrieval, there was nothing much in it, and maybe the other cable had a slight advantage in terms of how it handled the human voice.

However, the Lautus really excelled in how it handled bass and mids - strong, deep and very, very clear, unlike anything else I have heard to date, textures are very rich in detail and tone.

Also, you don't get any feeling of agitation - the background is deathly silent, and you can turn up the volume to a much higher degree without worry. Quite a plus point when listening to orchestral music.

Both cables made sense and controlled the test CD, and at their respective price points, provide excellent value for money.

When listening to MP3s, again the Lautus edged ahead, probably even more than through the CD player. It really smooths out the rough edges, but not at the expense of detail.

Personally, I would stump up the extra to get the Lautus - and will do so once I save up the funds !

morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 2:41pm
Thanks for the detailed review bronzeage! Your findings mirror mine with the Lautus USB cable when I had the Bitzie on loan - and indeed with Graham's other cables; smooth, deep and detailed. I spent decades as a "cable sceptic" before Graham's offerings shone a light in the right place for me.

I'm just playing my CD of (well, rip of) Moanin' - quite an old one, so probably not the remastered version - on my study system, which is GSP cable-free at the moment Cry - and, yes Lee Morgan's trumpet does have an, er, "edge" to it: will need to try it on the living room kit, which is all GSP'd up to compare . . Smile
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
bronzeage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bronzeage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 4:06pm

Thanks morris_minor

Check out track three in particular (or might be track two, depending on the breakdown) - the opening bars are painful on many I system I have tried. It's been mentioned the re-master is brighter, possibly due to the producers poor hearing  (!)

Chord Chameleon plus could also tame it, but at the cost of losing a lot of bass, but still better than not using it.

I really don't want cables to make a difference - but they do, oh yes, they do. Thanks goodness for the loan programme, because it can be very expensive to find out just what works for you.

Graham - bring out a power chord and spare us.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 6:13pm
Oh, power cords! I've only just got my head round signal cables . . Wink  Next it'll be audiophile fuses, gold-plated wall sockets, dedicated mains spurs, and your own audiophile regenerator. (And I know all of these things exist, it's just that, being an old-fogey, I prefer not to think about them . . . Wacko ).

But, yes - signal cables DO make a difference . . . 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 6:39pm
I did a lot of experimentation on power cords and power supplies a few years ago and I had to conclude that most ideas simply made matters worse.

However, although I still think it a bit daft that a different bit of wire hanging off the end of around 100 metres of 2.5mm² twin and earth in a house ring main circuit, can make any difference, I may have a go even if it's just for fun.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 7:50pm
I share your sceptism, but keep an open mind. Like most, I also don't have unlimited funds and concentrate on achieving most significant difference for the most reasonable cost!
mitch65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitch65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by BackinBlack BackinBlack wrote:

I share your sceptism, but keep an open mind. Like most, I also don't have unlimited funds and concentrate on achieving most significant difference for the most reasonable cost!

Thumbs Up
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic