FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Genera?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>
Author
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genera?
    Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

A PCB, case, and components kit will be offered at diy-audio-kits.com, plus we offer to build and test the Genera phono preamp project for all those not blessed with DIY skills

I have absolutely no known PCB soldering and kit building skills. How easy is it to acquire them?

Edited by ICL1P - 20 Mar 2013 at 10:12pm
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 10:46pm
There are video tutorials on youtube and practice improves your basic technique quite quickly. Once mastered you can build kits and make decent DIY interconnects.
It's something I've done off and on for nearly 40 years so I may not be the best person to comment on how easily you can acquire the skills, can anyone else share recent expereince on this?

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 10:59pm
Some simple tools, screwdrivers, small side cutters (wire cutters), a good smallish soldering iron (Antex 25watt or similar), flux and of course solder. First a little practice is needed, plenty of you-tube videos give guidance then hands on practice, a simple Velleman kit might provide this. Meanwhile order a Genera kit. Then, when it arrives, if you read the instructions, read them again and carefully follow the build instructions you'll have a Genera.
Go on, give it a try, you'll enjoy it....
Any problems, there's plenty of us willl help.

Ian
iamalexis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamalexis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

A PCB, case, and components kit will be offered at diy-audio-kits.com, plus we offer to build and test the Genera phono preamp project for all those not blessed with DIY skills

I have absolutely no known PCB soldering and kit building skills. How easy is it to acquire them?

I didn't either but I built the Novo headphone amp kit and the Genera kit having only soldered leads before. I tried out a few cheap kits first from a well known high street electronics shop to get my skills dialled in!

Graham's kits have clear instructions, photos and all the components you need. I found it good fun and not too difficult! Give it a go, they sound great too!
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 7:47pm
Hi guys, thanks for the advice and encouragement. I'll start checking out YouTube and will get some cheap kits to practice on.
Ifor
=====
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 5:40pm
I am currently building my first ever Velleman kit. My eyesight is rubbish so it's proving to be quite a challenge. I've only burnt myself once so far.
Ifor
=====
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 5:45pm

Get yourself a magnify glass on a stand, in fact if you are going to be doing anything with cables or connectors a then desk clamp with magnify glass could be useful.

Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>
  Share Topic