FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Bitzie first impressions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 33>
Author
mitch65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitch65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 7:17am
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

I stand corrected and hope they will connect an iPod (or iPhone) to a Bitzie.

if I were a betting man, I'd say the aoudioquest cables won't work.

With that amount of confusion I wouldn't be surprised since I can't even work out what they do do! LOL
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 10:23am
I thank you all for your concern in getting the Bitzie to work with things I never intended it to work with.

I was surprised it worked with the Samsung Galaxy S3 and the iPad, and considered that to be a bonus.

It is a USB DAC, and I for one, would be interested in how those who borrow it find its sound quality and sound staging when used with things it was designed for.

And most of all, the many visitors we get are probably interested in that too, and may not be interested in the products of Apple and Audioquest to the degree this topic has strayed.

Graham
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

It is a USB DAC, and I for one, would be interested in how those who borrow it find its sound quality and sound staging when used with things it was designed for.
Back on topic, I'm listening to Laurence Juber's "Guitar Noir" album as a 96/24 FLAC on the Bitzie. The line out is going into the SoloUL and into HD650s. The sound is tactile and detailed, with a great sense of the acoustic's depth. It's a simple acoustic guitar, string bass and subtle percussion but the detail is phenomenal in the way it's presented. 

The Bitzie is also connected to my own DAC via S/PDIF and switching the Solo's inputs gives an immediate comparison - which is actually quite shocking. Shocked My own DAC was over twice the price of the Bitzie but the differences are very, minimal. The other DAC has a marginally deeper sound, and when trying with other albums (eg Green Day's "American Idiot") I felt (but only sometimes) that it was a bit more dynamic.

Using the line out from the Bitzie to drive the 650s directly a similar description could be given comparing Bitzie to Solo. But - and it has to be a big BUT - both Solo and the other DAC benefit from beefy linear power supplies, so to be expecting identical, or better performance over the Bitzie would be optimistic. I would say the differences are so small that having one or other in the system without doing instant switching I'd be very hard pushed to say which DAC was connected. Both give a very smooth, "non-digital" almost analogue sound. For a little USB-driven DAC to provide this fantastic performance has been a real eye-(ear-)opener for me. 

A couple of other things I need to do - try the Bitzie on the PC, and substitute a generic USB cable for the Lautus USB.

I have one further "big" test to do - which is to unhook the Proprius amps from my AV setup and have the Bitzie drive these directly. (Am really looking forward to this!)

More later Wink.

Edited by morris_minor - 03 Mar 2013 at 11:16am
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 11:50am
I forgot to mention I am running OS 10.8.2 on my iMac and as previously stated it recognized the Bitzie right away. I should also mention that it is dead quiet using the Grado RS-1 straight out of the 1/4" plug. I even paused the music and raised the volume to max! Did I say dead quiet!
Miguel
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

I stand corrected and hope they will connect an iPod (or iPhone) to a Bitzie.

if I were a betting man, I'd say the aoudioquest cables won't work.

FWIW I've previously looked the 30 pin connector on my iPod to see if the digital out, USB, Firewire, etc. can be made to work. I wasn't the first! No success and I think the "Made for iPod" in docks like the ND-S1 (I have one BTW) communicate with the iPod to enable the digital outputs and sends a usable bitstream to an external DAC. The dock on my AV amp is slightly different in that the amp reads the music files from the iPod's disk and the amp acts as the player. In both cases the iPod receives 5V rather than providing it.

So that's why did I didn't bother trying iPod and Bitzie in the week I had it on loan. If or when I buy a new portable device the Galaxy 3 looks like a very good choice. Bitzie compatability is a big bonus!

I tried the Bitzie with my PC running Windows 7 and my Samsung netbook. Worked immediately with both and sounded great with both.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 03 Mar 2013 at 3:09pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
mitch65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitch65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 4:06pm

!

I tried the Bitzie with my PC running Windows 7 and my Samsung netbook. Worked immediately with both and sounded great with both.

That's good to know as I have Windows 7 laptop and a Tab Smile
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 5:12pm
Ok - next update.

PC connection (Windows 7) was painless, as expected.

A generic USB cable in place of the Lautus USB throttled the sound. In comparison it had softened dynamics and constricted depth, along with veiled detail. Going direct to the Bitzie with a generic cable would still provide a quality jump over computer sound cards, but the Lautus allowed it to perform at its best, and the Bitzie bundle with the Lautus should be heavily promoted!!
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 33>
  Share Topic