FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Bitzie first impressions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 33>
Author
mitch65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitch65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 7:36am
Originally posted by Nuance_Ember Nuance_Ember wrote:

Originally posted by Humboldt Humboldt wrote:

Originally posted by Task1 Task1 wrote:

Just wish my records were indestructible and wear free.

Sandy

If wear is a concern, why just not buy CD's then?
This is why I prefer to buy CDs. Smile

Bloody heretics! WinkWink
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50
Humboldt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humboldt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 9:14am

Now here's me thinking this was a nice place! Most of my collection is CD's , but, as has been suggested elsewhere on this forum vinyl makes a more engaging listen, especially when it's new!

What is the most engaging or the best sounding format is of course very subjective. However. Yesterday I bought David Bowies new record "The Next Day" as a budle with both The Vinyl and the CD. I am listening to the CD rigth now, and it strucks me how much better the sound is compared to the Vinyl.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 9:17am

Now here's me thinking this was a nice place! Most of my collection is CD's , but, as has been suggested elsewhere on this forum vinyl makes a more engaging listen, especially when it's new!

What is the most engaging or the best sounding format is of course very subjective. However. Yesterday I bought David Bowies new record "The Next Day" as a budle with both The Vinyl and the CD. I am listening to the CD rigth now, and it strucks me how much better the sound is compared to the Vinyl.
Interesting. The vinyl isn't released here until 1st April apparently. I have bundle on preorder. I'll let you know what I think when I have received it and listened.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
mitch65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitch65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 9:32am
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

Interesting. The vinyl isn't released here until 1st April apparently. I have bundle on preorder. I'll let you know what I think when I have received it and listened.

Same here, my wife has ordered it for me for my birthday but I'll have to wait a couple of weeks yetCry
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50
Humboldt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humboldt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

I bought my vinyl in a record shop. At the internet however, the same vinyl can't be bought until April 1. I wonder if this is something the record company do to secure some of the sales for the record stores.
Humboldt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humboldt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 8:18pm

To be exact, I am not listening to the CD, but to a FLAC copy of the CD stored on a server. I rip my CD.s these days, and I have switched all the digital music to be played by a computer.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 10:52pm

So in this circumstance, you feel a CD to offer superior performance to a vinyl record. With many other recordings, you will prefer the vinyl to the CD, I'm sure.

This occassional lack of consistency is a reflection that the most important attribute of an audio track is the quality of the mixing and mastering it has for the medium that it is implemented on, not just the type of medium alone. I sometimes wonder whether the reason some audio enthusiasts hate CD is simply because they have never listened to one with exceptional mastering. I think that CD is a very good medium, despite the limitations that it does have.

The thing with vinyl is that it always has the POTENTIAL to surpass CD, because the closest thing possible to natural sound is analogue reproduction. So vinyl is able to be higher fidelity than the CD but it might not be, depending on how well the playback medium is made and how well the work is mastered.

Edited by Nuance_Ember - 24 Mar 2013 at 10:53pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 33>
  Share Topic