FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Bitzie first impressions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 33>
Author
Suggs View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 10:16am
OK, the Bitzie has now been plugged into my PC with the Lautus USB cable and, after the Windows software auto-install and updates, I have had a lengthy listening session of tracks all ripped from CD's using Apple Lossles (no high res)...the results are to say the least impressive Smile I fully concur with Fatmangolf's assessment of the Bitzie...extremely detailed but non-fatiguing sound, very "analogue" in it's presentation and as natural as CD's (or rips) will allow Wink. The analogue part of the DAC bears a similar signature to Graham's other products i.e. musical (to use the much maligned term) and it is more than able to convey all of the emotion on the recording..a very high goose bump factor was experienced

I have been primarily listening with AKG K550's but the Bitzie also drove my Audeze LCD-3's with no problem, a very decent headphone output

I have also tried the Bitzie in my hi-fi system, where the results were equally impressive, however not as good as my resident DAC, but that costs over ten times the price of the Bitzie so there would be somethng wrong if it did.

It is also worth noting that the Lautus USB cable is a very good product in it's own right and it is important that this cable doesn't get overshadowed by the Bitzie raves that are bound to come when it reaches a few listeners. The Lautus performed very close to the USB cable that I use in my system which again cost several times the Lautus price...excellent value for money and complements the Bitzie well...anyone buying should really take advantage of the introductory offer for the pair of these items.

This is all within 24 hours of it arriving here and with no burn-in to speak of...truly remarkable and a sure winner from Graham .Well done GSP once again Clap...it's amazing that such a great sound can be had for such a low price...it's now given me the "can't wait" feeling to see what Graham does with the future "big" DAC, if it is much better than this then I already want one!

Derek
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 10:59am
I received the Bitzie yesterday and using the included Lautus USB cable connected it to an iMac. It was immediately recognized as "USB Audio CODEC" and it started playing right away without any issues. The unit has about 12 hours of burn in and so far I have used two headphones: Yuin OK1 (earbuds) and Samson SR850 (semi open can).

The Yuin OK1 is an earbud which is hard to drive at 150 ohm and sensitivity of 109 DB at 1 Khz. The Samson SR850 are relatively easy to drive at 32 ohm.

I am using the 1/4" adapter to drive a Solo ULDE which does fine but it is to early to fully evaluate since both are still burning in. For those in the USA (upper 48) let me know if interested in borrowing.

Below is a link to a few pictures.

http://picasaweb.google.com/109437154048011247077/BitzieAndSoloULDE?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMCrnM_gwJfSXw&feat=directlink 
Miguel
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 11:31am
Derek/Miguel,

It's good to have your first impressions! And nice to see pictures of the Bitzie in relation to the Solo, Miguel . . . it's a dinky little thing isn't it? Smile 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Humboldt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humboldt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Thank you Jon, The Bitzie USB DAC seems to be doing exactly what we 'said on the can' by the looks of things.

We've had the prototypes and pre-production units working flat-out here for months as we busily tried numerous tweaks.

There's a lot of information 'not written' between the lines of digital i.c. manufacturers data sheets, but it is 'there to be read' if you get my meaning?

It makes a lot of difference once that 'non-information' is understood, and I guess it can be quite misleading to those 'still wet behind the ears'.

So I guess all those years (from 1982) spent working on other manufacturers stuff with some great electronics engineers, didn't go amiss.

Perhaps it should be a lesson to all those who 'think they can' that these data sheets are written like that for a purpose? Wink

Seems to be a lot not written but said between the lines here... Geek

Edited by Humboldt - 26 Feb 2013 at 4:39pm
Jog3004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jog3004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 6:04pm
Miguel, have you tried it with an iPod, iPhone ipad etc yet?
James
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 6:17pm

I fear "made for iPod" may stop the digital output from working without the Apple licensed widget but would be delighted to hear otherwise.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
mitch65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitch65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by mrarroyo mrarroyo wrote:

Below is a link to a few pictures.

http://picasaweb.google.com/109437154048011247077/BitzieAndSoloULDE?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMCrnM_gwJfSXw&feat=directlink 

Cripes! That's really dinky LOL
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 33>
  Share Topic