FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Is High End dying?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by mitch65 mitch65 wrote:

Yes, a music server just like a ..........no, you're not catching me out ;)

I'm not saying we won't be doing one, and we've been looking at some way of doing a digital juke box, but we're primarily about the items that go between source and speakers/headphones.

I do not practice the sport of catching people out. Stuff that's said innocently after reasonable consideration of the hosts commercial interests will not result in de-registration like it does on another make's forum (the make was mentioned above... in context).

11rushgarrick11 makes some good points. However, it is still very difficult for you all to get full marks for your homework.

I have read about the unsuitability of cables because of their impedance - OK for powering a 3 bar electric heater I must add, but not for your speakers. This on another manufacturers site makes my blood boil. It is a poor substitute for real facts. OK, it is true that cables have characteristic impedance, but that's qualified by 'at x frequency', and I don't believe for one minute that speakers will reproduce the radio frequencies that would refer to. But this type of advertising is typical of the high-end.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
mitch65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitch65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Originally posted by mitch65 mitch65 wrote:

Yes, a music server just like a ..........no, you're not catching me out ;)

I'm not saying we won't be doing one, and we've been looking at some way of doing a digital juke box, but we're primarily about the items that go between source and speakers/headphones.

I do not practice the sport of catching people out. Stuff that's said innocently after reasonable consideration of the hosts commercial interests will not result in de-registration like it does on another make's forum (the make was mentioned above... in context).

11rushgarrick11 makes some good points. However, it is still very difficult for you all to get full marks for your homework.

I have read about the unsuitability of cables because of their impedance - OK for powering a 3 bar electric heater I must add, but not for your speakers. This on another manufacturers site makes my blood boil. It is a poor substitute for real facts. OK, it is true that cables have characteristic impedance, but that's qualified by 'at x frequency', and I don't believe for one minute that speakers will reproduce the radio frequencies that would refer to. But this type of advertising is typical of the high-end.

Think I might have got suckered with that last point
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50
Paulreso1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Paulreso1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 1:58pm
I have just revived an interest in hifi after a 20 year or so hiatus, during that time, the importance of computer based digital files as a source has increased beyond all recognition, so consideration of the future of high end (whether defined by price, audio quality or a combination) must include consideration of the playback of high quality computer based audio files. I am experienced in IT and have worked in the computer industry for 15 years on the hardware side, however, for the general public, I would say that achieving high quality results from computer/NAS source files remains a little complex both in relation to set up and optimisation. In addition to the innate clunkyness of the technology itself, Retailers have varying levels of expertise with these systems, which can limit their uptake. If the future of high end is dependent, at least to some significant extent, on building systems incorporating high quality playback of high resolution digital source files, then more needs to be done to improve the ease of use of these types of system, and to extend the expertise of the retailer networks to allow potential customers who are less knowledgable in IT and networking a path to feel comfortable with such systems. From the product design point of view, there are new possibilities regarding the most useful equipment spec and functionality to offer this newish market - as exemplified by The Big DAC thread on Graham's Forum. In addition to addressing the optimal product configurations, there is the issue of user interface and ease of use that only good product design will address........

I do not believe that the business of High End HiFi can be sustained by vinyl and CD based systems alone.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

If we define the source as the hard disk on which the music files are stored, a streamer, with an Ethernet input option, fits slap bang between source and speakers. It pleases me that it is now definitely within scope of GSP's core.

The reason I'm so keen on Ethernet input is because my computer is a long way from the HiFi rack, but can be connected via Ethernet and Homeplugs. I don't know another way of getting hires files streamed over this distance.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 8:53pm
I have used a Squeezebox V3 (currently have two) for a few years and also had a Touch(broke twice so I got rid of it). The convenience of loading all my music on the computer and stream it to other parts of the house while controlling it with an iPad or an iPhone is just to much to pass.

For those on the fence I would suggest you try one and see what all the fuss is about.
Miguel
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 9:08pm
I'd echo Miguel's comments. A music server is fairly easy to start up, can be improved and is very convenient. My best advice is rip high (bit rate, preferably lossless) so you can transfer or convert a large high quality if you upgrade your server/streamer.

Jon

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 11:12am
Go lossless! I have had to re-rip my collection three times, not fun and I still have about 1/2 of the files to go. By going lossless you get a larger file but storage (hard drives) are cheap enough.
Miguel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic