FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Record Cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 29>
Author
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 5:53pm
Just bought a Velvet Vortex ultrasonic RCM. 

Opinion is divided I know. 

Looking forward to trying it out. 

I shall report back!
Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
peterb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 3:11pm
Has anyone tried a Record Cleaning Service? Like this one.

I don't have an extensive record collection and buying an RCM would seem a bit extravagant
Jon was kind enough to clean one of my old, least favourite, Gary Moore records and it was definitely a nicer play after, so I know it would make an improvement.
Peter
---------------------------------------
Dual 505-1, Cyrus CD T, DIY 80W MosFet amp and PreAmp, 2xKEF 103.2
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 3:34pm
......my former Ultrasonic cleaner did not use any detergents but on a few albums still left some cr*p on the stylus - I concluded it loosened material which the stylus removed.  These didn't appear any pattern to this I had some old/second hand albums that produced this crud and so did some brand new vinyl so no clear logic.  I did look at my Vinyl Passion stylus cleaner recently and took a picture of the fluff and bits on the surface which I may post - rather frightening really but shows what rubbish can sit within the grooves of even 'clean records' but now left to use a hand held fibre brush to clean light dust off with.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 4:54pm
I don't have an ultrasonic machine but if I did have one I would be tempted to use my vac-based RCM after running it through the Ultrasonic. 

RE: deposits even on clean records, I suppose that could come from insufficient filtering of the ultrasonic bath after cleaning multiple records, or the fact that some new records are pressed in plants which are very filthy. When I get records from RTI or Pallas they are usually pretty clean. Most every other new record from other plants usually has paper sleeve dust/particles or visible vinyl shavings so I clean it before play. 
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 5:14pm
the USC I used did dry after cleaning and completely sure the residual debris wasn't from previous runs.  Some new vinyl does have bits from paper sleeves from time to time but remain of the view this is loosened rubbish which the stylus removes.  
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 9:16pm
I've seen the old LP with the crud after cleaning Richard describes but just a few. I squeeze out the ADS vinyl cleaner's filter sponge every 50 or so records and that may help.

I was glad to help Peter. When the cost per LP is worked out those record cleaning services are good value unless you have a pretty large collection. They often include a new inner sleeve for the clean LP which makes a lot of sense and added value.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 7:58am
Well I finally got to try my Ultrasonic RCM. 

Don’t have a drying rack as yet so used the Moth to hoover them off. 

Best of both worlds?

Not all that noisy (until you turn on the Moth hoover & recoil in horror!).

Tried cleaning some old 90s records with my teenage finger prints on (sigh....).

Impressed I must say. Removed nearly all surface noise. Rather impressed. 

Have to say that I think you need both types of RCM to achieve the best results.  Think a really filthy record I’d run through both, but which way round ?  🤔

Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 29>
  Share Topic