FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Record Cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 29>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 5:09pm
Well, I read the K*muss stuff and I disagree with some of his theories and the dirty cloth!

My U/S cleaner really helps. Second hand LP's get 5 beeps worth of cleaning and most sound pretty good after that. Some have scratches and some are noisy pressings but I've found some delights like Classics for Pleasure that are pretty quiet after cleaning.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 7:45am
A few years back I was fortunate enough to have sufficient funds to invest in a decent RCM and I chose a Monks over either the Audiodesk or the Klaudio all at about the same cost.
Choice was partly on the noise created during the cleaning process - the Monks being quiet enough to allow listening whilst cleaning, in my crowded living conditions this was a serious consideration.
My limited ability to compare the units seemed to show no particular benefit of one over the other and subsequent comparisons with other local users of the Klaudio unit again indicated no greater benefit to be had from the US unit.  The noise factor still favouring the Monks.

What may be of interest to others is that I tested a number of different fluids for the wet cleaning and found a noticeable difference in the residual noise levels of differing fluids either with or without a post clean rinse cycle using distilled water and 0.5 % Ilfotol.

I settled on a locally made proprietary blend called, (for the benefit of any readers "down under") Melody Mate, which gave the cleanest sounding result on both new and used records without need of post rinse. 
I suspect the formula is fairly similar to that recommended by the London Jazz Collector site.

I still notice, as I have previously noted in this thread, a continuing improvement in the sound of used records for a number of plays post cleaning.

I also continue to use and recommend the "Last Record Preservative", which, to my own hearing and to that of others to whom I have demonstrated the product, provides a further significant improvement in SQ.

I apply that to new records immediately after initial cleaning and on used records following 3 or 4 plays post cleaning and after a second cleaning.

Edited by tg - 18 Dec 2018 at 7:52am
Tony G
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 9:36pm
I wouldn't mind trying an ultrasonic unit sometime but it will likely be awhile as there are other things taking priority now. 

The RCM I use is the Squeaky Clean Mark III, which I've had for a couple years now. I use it with Audio Intelligent #15 cleaning solution. This solution has worked better for me than any homebrew recipe I've tried or watered down one step cleaners. It does require soaking the record for 3-5 minutes minimum and thorough rinses, which some people won't put up with. I find the results are worth it though, especially with used records that are several decades old. 

This month I bought a few 60s jazz promos that were in great condition but likely hadn't been cleaned for decades. With the RCM and the AI #15 I can make them sound better than many new records. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 11:38pm
I think RCM's help improve records and there are ones that get good results at price pounds from tens to thousands of pounds/dollars/euros.

Tony's point about a final rinse with distilled water is one I'd second from my experience with the Okki Nokki. I used a different brush for this. With my Audiodesk Systeme RCM the distilled water is recycled through its foam filter which I rinse out every 50 or so LP's, even so the water in the ADS tank has to be changed before it gets too dirty. I recently bought a cheap water quality tester which I'll start using periodically from the next water change.

Based on your tip Tony I'm thinking of buying some Last Record Preservative. I had a quick look at the instructions and had a query you may be able to resolve. Do you dry the records before putting them back in the inner sleeves, if so how please?

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 3:02am
Jon,
I am guessing that you refer to drying after application of the preservative fluid.
Only a miniscule amount is applied and it dries almost immediately.
The manufacturers claim that the product chemically bonds with the vinyl hardening it.
My own listening to the results over many years would vindicate this claim.
Records may be played or returned to their sleeves virtually immediately.

I would also add that I observed audible differences, particularly WRT residual noise, between a number of different cleaning solutions.  
We all perhaps have our favourites, but for those who do not, I would encourage experimentation, you may be surprised or you may confirm your current choice.

Edited by tg - 19 Dec 2018 at 3:22am
Tony G
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 9:42pm
That is exactly what I wanted to know about Last, thanks Tony, and I could easily include this in my cleaning procedure.

Jon

tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 3:46am
Jon,
if you do try it, remember that with used records it is worth giving them several plays after cleaning and then a second clean prior to applying the preservative.

I have read conjecture on the observed phenomenon of continued improvement in SQ after cleaning of used records, that suggested this was due to plastic memory and the reforming of the original shape under the influence of the localised heat generated by stylus pressure once any deformation was no longer locked in place by caked on detritus.
Tony G
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 29>
  Share Topic