FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Record Cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 29>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 12:32pm
Probably not alone in this, I use a wet brush first on very dirty records. Then an ultrasonic wash, maximum length five beeps on second hand records, two on new records, only one on a previously cleaned record.

I still had the Okki Nokki (brush and suck RCM) after getting the Audiodesk ultrasonic RCM but I never tried a two stage wash* as you have here so it is interesting. I can see the advantage of the vacuum taking any soluable residue off with the water, otherwise the water used in the wash needs to be fresh (not reused water with suspended muck from the previous records) or well filtered in my opinion.

*Well not one immediately after the other. Inevitably using the Audiodesk ultrasonic on my collection means the records I previously cleaned with the Okki Nokki then had an ultrasonic clean and sounded better with less surface noise.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by tg tg wrote:

Jon,
if you do try it, remember that with used records it is worth giving them several plays after cleaning and then a second clean prior to applying the preservative.

I have read conjecture on the observed phenomenon of continued improvement in SQ after cleaning of used records, that suggested this was due to plastic memory and the reforming of the original shape under the influence of the localised heat generated by stylus pressure once any deformation was no longer locked in place by caked on detritus.

Hi Tony, I did buy some Last Record Preservative (LRP) back in January and have tried it since but not written it up. I was applying it to a few LP's that had been cleaned and played in the past. I ran each through the ultrasonic cleaner, made sure they were dry and then applied the LRP using the supplied brush and an old turntable to turn the LP whilst applying the LRP. It dried almost immediately and the records all sounded pretty good so I would certainly do this again now I have a bottle of LRP. Thank you.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 1:25pm
I have been wondering about these miraculous ultrasonic machines for a while. I have an Okki Nokki, and while it does a decent job (with L'Art Du Son fluid and a rinse with medical grade purified water), it definitely is a bit messy.

So far, the price is what has restrained me.

Have some ultrasonic options (with drying included) at an affordable price surfaced lately?

Edited by Lucabeer - 16 Mar 2019 at 1:29pm
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 2:16pm
Having had the use of a USC to clean a number of my albums, I will miss it and whilst there is no way I can justify £2.5-£6k on a new one having used one I would feel inclined to use one of the ‘clean by the album options’ for any new purchases and others in my collection not cleaned.

I personally would rather use this option rather than investing in a non-USC or a home made device of some form.  

There is still c**p on the stylus on cleaned but unplayed albums which is a little surprising to me but perhaps shows the USC has loosened this and is being removed as witnessed by my excellent VP stylus cleaner.

At maybe £3 per album you would have to clean a lot to cover the cost of a new USC so this will be the route I would now take, albeit less convenience and you are letting your precious vinyl out of your hands for a few days!
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 2:27pm
Crikey! £6000 on an ultrasonic RCM??

Mine cost £350 including a gallon of cleaning solution
Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 10:03pm
My ultrasonic RCM cost under £2k or over £1 per LP for me at the time, another £500 after 3 years heavy use. Yes it is a lot of money and the running cost is on top, but it's a personal choice to spend money on music and hi-fi.

Jon

Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 11:33pm
Wonder if your records are 5 or 6 times cleaner?

😬
Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 29>
  Share Topic