FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Record Cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 29>
Author
Suggs View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Bi-wire Bi-wire wrote:

Originally posted by Nuance_Ember Nuance_Ember wrote:

It's easiest to keep vinyl records clean by not getting them dirty in the first place. Store them upright in their sleeve in a clean, dry place when not in use. Their material static attracts dust easily, especially when you first remove them from their sleeve. I use a velvet brush to clear the playing surface of dust and I have a blue record cleaning solution with fabric cloth for any possible spoils that cannot be removed by direct dry wiping. For any cleaning method, be careful not to unintentionally put a cleaning residue into the grooves as this will transfer to audio artefacts at the stylus.

I haven't used vinyl records much but I can certainly say that they have more energetic dynamics than CD, especially in the bass. Bass can sound flat on CD.

I find that it's not just old vinyl that needs cleaning. Even new vinyl, that one might expect to be clean, often benefits from a spin through my RCM.

Peter

There is also the question of removal of MRA (Mould release agent) on new unplayed albums.

The pressing process usually involves using a liquid agent to help get the still warm pressed vinyl away from the master more easily. This substance is purported to remain on the finished LP but can easily be removed by the disc cleaning process.

I always clean brand new albums and when doing A-B's in the past, have consistently noticed an improvement after cleaning, less surface noise and better dynamics being the most obvious improvements
Derek
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 12:26am
I hope that digital will be able to completely emulate analogue eventually. Then you won't have to do any of this stuff and will be able to just focus on the music alone. Smile I feel that there is a need for digital/analogue hybridization; an audio storage medium with digital ergonomics and analogue fidelity. Approve
less View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote less Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 11:31am

I hope that digital will be able to completely emulate analogue eventually. Then you won't have to do any of this stuff and will be able to just focus on the music alone. Smile I feel that there is a need for digital/analogue hybridization; an audio storage medium with digital ergonomics and analogue fidelity. Approve

But until then cleaning vinyl will remain a labour of love!

What has not been mentioned in this thread so far, but I am sure was mentioned in a previous thread, is that you should rinse cleaned records in de-ionised water. This is in order to remove cleaning agent residue. This always forms part of my cleaning regime.

I have a VPI rcm and clean all newly acquired records, whether second hand or new, before playing for the first time.

In my experience some very dirty records need to be put through the cleaning process two or three times before they play satisfactorily.

Of course no amount of cleaning will rescue a damaged record.

My only problem is that I now have close on a thousand records!

Regards

Les
I don't do mediocrity!

Les Sutherland
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 12:14pm

For a lot of people the care and treatment of your vinyl is part of the fetishistic joy of the vinyl experience from the ritualism of the playback to the joy of sleeve notes that even the rapidly deteriorating middle aged eyes can see.

Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
JamesD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 12:36pm
Although a little time consuming, it's unfortunate that vinyl cleaning rituals still aren't expensive enough to justify buying analogue gear as nice as this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stunning-Teac-X-2000R-Reel-to-Reel-Tape-Deck-with-Rosewood-Case-/281078339873?pt=UK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&hash=item4171931921

Bit off-topic so apologies :-)
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 12:53pm
I'm a CD user, due to their convenience, great quality, small size and their resilience compared to vinyl. However, I do believe that vinyl provides higher fidelity with REAL sound than CD. I've heard the difference for myself. Vinyl has an energy that is not present on CD; the bass has explosive speed and realism. However, I do not have any attachment to ritualistic cleaning processes and fear of damaging the playback surfaces with use. Vinyl is heavy, large and time-consuming to maintain.

So at the moment, I feel that the best ideal is to enjoy the strengths of both media. Smile
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 10:25pm
For my record cleaning I've just bought some Moth pre-mixed fluid and it seems to be working well with the Okki Nokki RCM. The clicks (scratches) are still there but I have banished the crackle and crunch. This gives a nice warm and enticing vinyl sound, so I can enjoy the music!
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 29>
  Share Topic