FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Record Cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 29>
Author
Suggs View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 3:39pm
Hideously expensive but far and away the best cleaner I've used is the Audio Desk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner (from Germany)...thoroughly recommended if your pockets are deep enough...avoids the static that can come from vacuuming with a valvet lipped suction device and the records that I had cleaned but still had some noise using a VPI 16.5 are now pretty well silent. Superb Clap
Derek
Bi-wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi-wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 12:34pm
Hmmm, as the new owner of an Okki Nokki RCM I've been following this thread with interest. I'm firmly of the opinion that once you've got your GSP phono stage in place, a RCM (ideally of the wash and vac variety) is the next best upgrade you can give your TT based system. Honestly, the results are amazing ... and that's not hyperbole!
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 5:41pm
I agree with B-W, the results are amazing.

Some hi-fi shops own and use an RCM so you try one out by paying a few quid to get a favourite record cleaned to hear for yourself. I suggest ringing around to check and then make arrangements. NE local plug: Sound It Out Records (yes from the Last Record Shop film!) in Stockton on Tees have an Okki Nokki

Jon
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Bi-wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi-wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 9:27am
Following on from Jon's comment, yes, some dealers offer this as a service, charging up to a couple of quid per record to clean and provide a new sleeve inner. It might sound like an extravagance but really it's well worth it and for a small record collection (or specific prized discs), a sensible approach.

Peter
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 10:44pm
It's easiest to keep vinyl records clean by not getting them dirty in the first place. Store them upright in their sleeve in a clean, dry place when not in use. Their material static attracts dust easily, especially when you first remove them from their sleeve. I use a velvet brush to clear the playing surface of dust and I have a blue record cleaning solution with fabric cloth for any possible spoils that cannot be removed by direct dry wiping. For any cleaning method, be careful not to unintentionally put a cleaning residue into the grooves as this will transfer to audio artefacts at the stylus.

I haven't used vinyl records much but I can certainly say that they have more energetic dynamics than CD, especially in the bass. Bass can sound flat on CD.

Edited by Nuance_Ember - 20 Mar 2013 at 10:45pm
Bi-wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi-wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Nuance_Ember Nuance_Ember wrote:

It's easiest to keep vinyl records clean by not getting them dirty in the first place. Store them upright in their sleeve in a clean, dry place when not in use. Their material static attracts dust easily, especially when you first remove them from their sleeve. I use a velvet brush to clear the playing surface of dust and I have a blue record cleaning solution with fabric cloth for any possible spoils that cannot be removed by direct dry wiping. For any cleaning method, be careful not to unintentionally put a cleaning residue into the grooves as this will transfer to audio artefacts at the stylus.

I haven't used vinyl records much but I can certainly say that they have more energetic dynamics than CD, especially in the bass. Bass can sound flat on CD.

I find that it's not just old vinyl that needs cleaning. Even new vinyl, that one might expect to be clean, often benefits from a spin through my RCM.

Peter
Peter

Satisfied user of: Revelation M, PSU1-Enigma, Solo SRGII and lots of CuSat50
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 9:08am
Peter is right, most new vinyl benefits from cleaning with an RCM or decent manual system. It's not just visually dirty 2nd hand records that need cleaning.
I re-clean my most played records and the surface noise is lower afterwards. You'd be surprised at the dust and other crud that floats in the air inside a house.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 29>
  Share Topic