FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Record Cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 29>
Author
Paul P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Record Cleaning
    Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 9:33am
Would anyone like to recommend a good way of cleaning Vinyl , either by a machine  ( make's and model's please) or any other way .Thanks.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 10:21am
I've recently acquired a Knosti Disco-Antistat. I'm quite impressed with the initial results in cleaning up older 2nd hand LPs. It certainly removes most of the dirt apparent by the reduction in surface noise and various clicks and pops. The almost complete elimination of static is initially impressive, but only time will tell if this lasts. Cleaning 10 records takes about an hour, with practice maybe less. At €46 from Thomann.de it's a reasonable cost for such a result. Those with very large collections (and deeper pockets!) favour machines such as the VPI and Moth cleaners, which no doubt do a good job, but for me would not be a justified outlay.
Ian
Paul P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Paul P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 12:45pm
Thanks for that .I also read that the Spinclean Record cleaner is good as is the Okki Nokki machine cleaner .
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 12:56pm
Ian is right about the improvement that comes from cleaning the records. I made the investment of about £400 to buy an Okki Nokki record cleaning machine and am glad I did. The big advantages are the motorised platter and the hoover arm to suck the dirty cleaning fluid off.

Whether you use an RCM or a manual system like Ian's, it will remove the crackle and pop. Obviously any scratches are still there as clicks but they are occasional and fairly unobtrusive with hi-fi like the GSP phono stages.

After cleaning I can hear more of the lower level sounds like percussion tail and echoes/reverb. The music is still warm and analogue but there's more of it!

Jon
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Tomd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 4:04pm
I use a KAB-EV1 from KAB USA. It basically is a Nitty Gritty 1.0 machine without the built in vacuum (you use your own household vacuum). It is more affordable than the VPI or Nitty Gritty machines.

Cleaning makes a huge improvement, even on brand new records. Less surface noise and fewer pops and clicks.

tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 10:40pm

I tried the Knosti system and although the results were satisfactory I was unhappy with the deposit it left on the record, finding a white waxy deposit came off on the stylus afterwards.

I now use the Disc Dr manual brushes and cleaning solution.  I use the Knosti trough as a rinse bath after the manual scrub and still use the Knosti rack for air drying.

Others have observed and I have also, that the improvement in sound after a good clean continues for a number of plays after cleaning.

I have read that this may be from a "reforming" of the grooves caused by momentary softening of the vinyl under the pressure of the stylus contact.

I therefore play each record a number of times after washing before applying Last Record Preservative to the record surface - this treatment is purported to bond with and harden the vinyl surface and reduce wear.  To my hearing it does exactly that. 

Edited by tg - 18 Dec 2018 at 6:32am
Tony G
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 12:52pm
I agree with tg about the Knosti. Records looked much cleaner after using it
but the stylus dragged up lots of deposit. There was a reduction in static though.

I've been using a Moth vacuum cleaner for a few years & thoroughly recommend it.
I built the kit version which is relatively easy if you're ok to fettle a box from MDF,chipboard
or ply from drawings (the drawings weren't particularly good but did the job!).
These are available from SRMtech for under £300 I believe.

All records are now put through the cleaner - even new ones as they certainly can benefit
from a clean - even if it's just to remove static.
Clicks & pops don't disappear but are reduced & the overall benefit is all positive.

Cheers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 29>
  Share Topic